VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i tried Megui x265 encoding but i cannot find advanced settings.... y is there no 2 or 3 pass encoding for x265? also encoding with x265 is damn slow it is taking one hour 45 mins to encode 2 mins video using placebo settings. it used to take me 15 to 20 mins with one pass using x264 ... and y does some antiviruses on virustotal report avs4x265.exe as a trojan?
    Quote Quote  
  2. x265 isn't ready for prime time. Last time I ran some test encodes (a couple of x265 versions ago) x265 wasn't matching x264 in quality until the bitrates were very similar. It'll probably always be slower than x264. It's still very slow. Even if it was only a little better than x264 there's virtually no standalone player support for it yet anyway, so from that perspective x265 encoding doesn't seem like a good idea to me. At least not yet..

I think placebo for x264 is generally considered a waste of time (much slower encoding for very marginal compression/quality gains), and for x265 it's probably no different. https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/x264EncodingGuide#FAQ

Maybe MeGUI doesn't have any advanced x265 settings as they're not ready for users to play with them yet.

Antivirus programs a stupid. That's why I don't have one installed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You should have read the other threads about x265 here, and the threads about MeGUI in the doom9 forum. We already mentioned that it would be a bad idea to offer support for x265 in MeGUI already because some users will ignore all warnings that this encoder is "experimental" and "alpha/beta/in-development" and would "complain about the color of the bodywork while the engine is not even final yet".

MeGUI refuses to offer access to "advanced settings" because the set of CLI parameters and their related options is changing so often while the x265 encoder itself is being developed. It doesn't make much sense that Zathor would possibly have to change MeGUI each time he offers a new build of x265.
    Quote Quote