VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I was wondering does anyone know of an easy free program to convert AVCHD Video (.m2ts).

I have Play tv from the Playstation 3 and it records in this format .

I would like to convert.m2ts to something more managable, e.g. avi etc.
    I also would like to edit some parts of the recordings but if i got it converted to avi first I guess i could always edit it from there.
    I have seen a few past threads but no program was mentioned that satisfied my question, please help
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only free editor that works reasonably well on H.264 transport streams is tsSniper. It's not frame accurate, but with a little practice it's plenty good enough to cut out adverts. I don't have any payware recommendation for you.

I wonder why you want to convert from AVCHD. Unless you have a rather powerful machine, the conversions are going to be slow. Your PS3 can play AVCHDs. For viewing on a computer, raw power is not very important if you have an adequate video card with DXVA. You can convert your AVCHDs to MKVs, for instance, without re-encoding, using HDConvertToX or other tool, and the repackaging is fairly quick. MKVs have the advantage of being playable on the free MPCHC, which can use DXVA.

Anyway, if you want to convert to something like XviD, HDConvertToX can do that too. There are other tools adequate to your purpose, but I'll let others recommend some.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Your PS3 can play AVCHDs.
    Even better than that the ps3 can play raw m2ts files without any conversion at all. You can burn them to single layer or dual layer dvdrs so long as they fit on the discs.

If you want menus and stuff then yes you'll need to go the avchd route. For that you can use the free multiavchd which works great and has many features and has a output the ps3 will read.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote