VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This is all quite new to me so my apologies for any dumb questions.

I'm creating a training course and would like to shoot some pieces where I'm standing in front of a LCD TV. The screen would have photos that I'd reference periodically. The concept would be similar to an instructor standing in front of a whiteboard and periodically jotting stuff down or referencing a diagram. I don't plan on showing any videos on the TV, just still photos.

Here's my question. What kind of video camera would I need to avoid interference with the TV? From what I've researched so far, it seems that LCD TVs avoid the refresh problems of old CRT TVs. Also, will a video camera with a CMOS sensor work better or worse than a CCD?

Thanks for any input!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's normally done by using a blue screen where the tv images will be added later in post. if you really need the tv there then find one with a matte screen. type of camera won't matter.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, our post production is extremely limited in resources, so I was hoping to pull it off with the actual image on the screen. We'll see, it might look pretty hokey. Thanks for the tip on the matte screen, I hand't thought of the glare issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's not really that hard. Make sure the lighting is balanced both in intensity and color (LCDs tend to be blue, incandescent lights tend to be orange.) Watch carefully for rolling scanlines or bars from the screen, it can be subtle, and adjust your camera's shutter speed until they disappear.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Watch carefully for rolling scanlines or bars from the screen,
    I have never seen such a thing when recording LCD TV's or monitors, only CRT tv's, which he is not talking about.

and adjust your camera's shutter speed until they disappear.
    Ummm... Otay......

From what I've researched so far, it seems that LCD TVs avoid the refresh problems of old CRT TVs
    Yep!!

I frequently (a few times a month at least) record video playing on a 32" lcd and have never had a problem as long as the room was well lit.
    I do it to demonstrate different video game systems working with different software.

And I use a cheap Flip video camera that records in HD and they look damn good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flip_Mino_black.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	19918Name:  flipultrahdscreen.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  10.4 KB
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    From what I've researched so far, it seems that LCD TVs avoid the refresh problems of old CRT TVs
    It can be subtle, but don't ignore the possibility. (Shot with Sony CX260 and Vizio 46" LCD -- no special "tricks")

rollbars.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Cool. Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a whirl and report back.
    Quote Quote