VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to get DVI/HDMI video and Composite audio to work on Samsung HT-AS720ST surround sound:

I have a device (Computer) that has a DVI output (nVidia card) for video and Composite output (Stereo to Composite adapter) for the audio.

I have it connected with a DVI to HDMI cable that is in the HDMI2 (SAT) of the HT-AS720ST for video and the audio in from the device is connected with Composite cable to the HT-AS720HT at the Audio In (SAT) left and right Composite connections.

I can get video at SAT HDMI2 and audio at SAT ANALOG but I can not get both video and audio together. SAT HDMI2 has video but no audio and SAT ANALOG has audio but no video.

How can I get both the video and audio to work when the source is DVI to HDMI cable for video and Composite cable for audio?

I had this connected to my LN-T4661F television in the same fashion with no problems but can not seem to get it to work this way on the HT-AS720ST.

Here is a link to the user manual, maybe someone can help me figure this out please.

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=us&CttFile...A-ENG-0821.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I did see this on page 52 of the manual:
    • Press the INPUT MODE button to select HDMI1 or HDMI2. (see page 21)
    • If you select Digital (Optical, Coaxial) or Analog, the HDMI audio setting will be
    deactivated.
    That seems to hint that you can select a different audio source using HDMI for your video connection. If not, you would have to use a different input than HDMI that allows a separate audio input. HDMI has the audio combined on the same connection. That won't work with a DVI to HDMI converter cable as the DVI connector doesn't contain audio, AFAIK.

When you say 'composite' referring to the audio, do your mean 'Coaxial' or optical? Composite generally refers to a video format. Coaxial audio carries the encoded 5.1 or other multichannel audio. It uses a 75 ohm coaxial type cable, though a RCA cable should work for a short run. Optical is similar, but uses a fiber optic cable to reduce interference problems.

Also, what's a 'Stereo to Composite adapter'? To get surround sound, stereo isn't involved. Does your PC have a optical or coaxial audio output? Also referred to as SPDIF Out. If not, you might see if those connections are available on the motherboard if you have on-board sound or you could use a add-on PCI audio card that has them. With just stereo out, you are missing all the advantages of 5.1 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. When I say "composite" I'm referring to the RCA connector. I have a Sound Blaster Live! card, I *think* it is a 5.1 card but it does have the 3.5 mm stereo out, and it's this 3.5 to RCA composite adapter that I'm using and it is going to the composite audio in of the surround sound.

No, to the best of my knowledge DVI does not have audio, I know that the DVI output on my video card doesn't put out an audio signal. I may eventually get an HDMI video card for my computer, if they make them in AGP or PCI.

I've had this connected like this to my HDTV for several months and am pleased with it. It would work on the TV when I put it on HDMI2 it would get the video and pick up the audio from the composite cables. I also had this connected to a legacy RCA surround sound and even with this card and the way I had it connected the 5.1 seemed to work very well.

I'm sure I just need to press buttons until I figure something out, LOL, but I've done that for a few hours already and it's getting old. I also read the manual that came with the system and have tired everything (including page 21) to no avail.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Coaxial audio just uses a single RCA connector and cable. The audio is encoded and the amplifier decodes it to the surround sound channels.

One option that I have used with my surround sound amplifier was a external switching box. I run my component video and optical audio sources into this switch, then just the audio goes to the amp. The video goes directly to a video projector. The amp only has one optical audio input. I don't send the video through the amp at all. You may find a HDMI switcher with a remote that would work in a similar way. I know, a PITA, but in my case, I have several different sources for video and the amp switching was too limited for handling the video anyway.

But hopefully you or another member will come up with a better solution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here is where the problem is itself, the Surround Sound doesn't have this connection (see picture attached) but the TV does have it.

Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK, that's just conventional stereo shown, not surround.

The system you linked to appears to have both coaxial and optical audio inputs for surround sound sources, and apparently a 7.1 input on the front panel.

Your adapter is just to be able to use RCA stereo cables, not surround.

My HTPC has both optical and coaxial surround audio outputs, so those use a single cable to the amplifier. (Or actually though the switch first where the optical and component video is switched) Since the amplifier doesn't have to handle the video, it goes straight to the projector from the switch and just the optical audio goes to the amp.

That lets me use just a single audio input on the amp most times, so all I have to control is the volume. And most times I control the volume from the PC. The HTPC uses only the surround amp for audio. I also have two DVD changers plugged into the switch. With them I have to use the amps volume control.

I'm not sure why your setup doesn't work. If you hook the RCA cable from the computer direct to the TV audio input, it should. But I believe some TVs with HDMI input expect the audio just on the HDMI cable.

If I were to use a TV for video display, I would still use only the amp for audio and disconnect the TV speakers. That way I always have the capability of surround sound from any of the sources.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, I see what you're saying is that with the componet RCA connection that isn't true surround sound and it may sound better with the other connection but it does perform very good and the sounds do "surround".

What I've done, for now, is hooked the DVI/HDMI cable to the HDMI2 of the TV and the componet audio to the surround sound; thus I have the video going straight to the TV and the audio going to the receiver. This is the only way that I can figure out how to get the video and audio to both work at the same time. I'm waiting to hear back from Samsung about this issue.

However, I will just get an HDMI card for my HTPC in the near future and that will solve this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moviegeek71
    What I've done, for now, is hooked the DVI/HDMI cable to the HDMI2 of the TV and the componet audio to the surround sound; thus I have the video going straight to the TV and the audio going to the receiver.
    That's about what I've done. I just added a switch box and don't use any of the switching features of the audio amplifier. But I do use the surround sound when it's available on the file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tired the VCR today and same problem, the VCR video signal does not go through the receiver's HDMI cable to the TV. I've had to hook the VCR video signal via a composite cable to the TV too.

Also, I haven't even mentioned the Laserdisc player because there is no way at all to hook it up. Maybe through the AUX for sound but as with the PC and VCR, there is no video.

This Samsung receiver retails for $700 but it doesn't seem like they thought it out very much; their TV offers more connections and flexibility than the receiver and usually it's the other way around.
    Quote Quote