VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to get movies with DTS audio streaming from my PC to PS3 for a while now with no success. I recently came across a solution on a couple of different forums but I dont seem to be able to make it happen. So anyway here is what I found

It's a limitation of the PS3. It will not decode DTS via streaming or if on the PS3 HDD. I have the exact same problem with movies that I stream that contain a DTS track.

On the weekend I found a solution to this problem that should work with any media streaming server, without transcoding.

For DVDs, the process is:
    1. Rip the VOB using program of choice (I use the mplayer dumpstream feature).
    2. Demux the audio and video using tsmuxer (http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html)
    3. Run the DTS audio file through "spdifer" (http://ac3filter.net/project/9/releases) with the "-wav" option, and using a ".wav" extension for the output file
    4. Use tsmuxer to mux the video and new audio track as an m2ts file (it will recognise the new audio file as LPCM)

On your media streaming server, ensure it serves up these files with MIME type "video/mpeg". You can rename the extension to mpg if you like, but that's really up to how your media server works. I use MediaTomb and can just map .mt2s extensions to the video/mpeg MIME type.

When streaming to the PS3, it will identify the audio as Linear PCM but as long as you're sending the output to your receiver in bitstream mode, your receiver should detect the DTS and decode it.

There are some small issues such as making sure the PS3 volume is set to normal, so as to prevent it from trying to touch the audio before sending it out.
    I havent been able to understand spdifer configuration.. step 3 sounds easy enough but I have no idea how to "run" the DTS audio file through spdifer.... and was wondering if there is any other way of changing a DTS audio stream to LPCM??

As always,
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    spdifer.exe is a command-line application:

Code:
    spdifer input.DTS output.WAV -wav
    will generate a stereo .WAV w/ samplerate = 48kHz, containing "DTS noise".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Embarrassingly... I dont know where to type the command... ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Eac3to with the gui might be easier for,it will output dts as wav.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Browncoat
    Embarrassingly... I dont know where to type the command... ?
    Find someone you know through work or some other place who is a computer expert and ask them to show you how to get a command line window in Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you guys are just messing with me now aren't you?

Where do I type these commands? Please, treat me like I dont know anything..
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use foobar to convert the audio. You need to also get the DTS plugin to read the .dts file and convert.

You can create a 2.0 wave file or a 5.1 wav file. To do the 5.1:

1. Open .dts in foobar2000
    In the DSP tab remove all filters!!
    click "save all"
    Right click on the .dts file -> convert -> select pcm 32Bit float
    click "ok"
    wait until the conversion process finishes. You'll get a 6 channel wav file.

Not sure how your PS3 will play the file. (Stereo or Multi Channel)
    I only convert DTS audio this way when doing BLU-RAY with DTS to WMV-HD. My XPRES 4.0 will not accept DTS audio in the m2ts file for video encoding.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Browncoat
    you guys are just messing with me now aren't you?

Where do I type these commands? Please, treat me like I dont know anything..
    Did you even try eac3to?It has a gui that doesnt require any basic windows knowledge like how to use command prompt to enter the info.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah thanks johns0, managed to get a wav file from DTS using eacto. The 800MB DTS file became 7GBwav, I suppose thats to be expected, just not very practical.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try using ac3 for the audio.
    Quote Quote