VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently had to reformat my computer. After I reinstalled Windows (Vista Ultimate 64-bit), my VOB files are not playing properly. They sorta play jittery or jerky every few seconds. It's like 2 seconds smooth, 3 seconds jerky, and so on. Furthermore, when going full screen mode, the video starts playing in slow motion while the audio continues to play normally. These problems occur both in MPC-HC and Windows Media Player, but it seems as if the problem only happens to VOB/MPG files.

I know I've had similar problems in the past after reformatting, but I have no idea how I solved it. I have installed the latest drivers for my video card (GeForce GT 620) directly from NVIDIA's website. I did install K-Lite's Codec Pack, but that can't be the issue here as the problem was already there prior to installing that, and I've always used that codec pack, even before when my videos were playing flawless. I have tried playing with the DirectShow settings to no avail, but I really have no clue.

Please, can someone help me? Any suggestions what I could try?
    Quote Quote  
  2. PS: When changing from LAV to ffdshow the slow motion problem in full screen goes away and some of the jittering/stuttering is reduced, but the videos still don't play perfectly smooth like they used to.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: Did you reinstall system drivers for main board ?. Without these it will not perform properly.

2: What did you do with the drivers supplied with gpu ?. They are guaranteed, updated packages have a chance of issues appearing.

Codec Packs ... bad choice ... did you disable the matrox settings during the install as it does not play well with nvidia chipsets.

3: Check 1 and 2 and test playback with vlc (internal decoders) to determine if system codecs are messed up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1. Yes, I did reinstall them.

2. I've got an OEM computer by Dell and they offer drivers at their website. I used to be able to use the video drivers supplied by them, but it appears they are now offering updated drivers and when I attempt to install them I get an error message saying the hardware is not detected. This comes as no surprise as Dell has not given me a very good impression -- they supply all their PCs with Service Tag numbers that are supposed to be unique for each computer model, however even though I put this Service Tag number in, their website pulls up a list which partly consists of hardware not even in my PC, multiple wifi drivers, etc.
    So, I was forced to use the drivers from NVIDIA's website and not the ones supplied for my particular PC.

I reinstalled K-Lite again and this time I disabled the Matrox settings - still no improvement in the playback.

3. I tried VLC. It doesn't have the problem that MPC-HC does (2 secs smooth, 3 secs jerky), but instead it plays sorta jerky constant (not as bad as in MPC), but worst is the picture quality, it's all pixely and have some horizontal black lines all over.
    Anyway, since the playback is different than in MPC, this is a sign of that the problem has something to do with the filters included with MPC, right? I'm almost positive last time I had this issue, it was solved by changing some setting inside the program. Do you have any clue what I could try?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VOB files are DVD containers, so I'm gonna guess these are individual chunks or one chunk VOB's? Are you ripping DVD's or did you download these VOB's? If you're ripping DVD's what software are you using; DVDFab?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think your problem is with the graphics media accelerator: you can either wait to get the update or try this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/16316
    Quote Quote  
  7. I managed to solve the problem. I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack, and then downloaded and installed the new update 11.5.0 which just came out on Oct 5, and after doing so the videos were once again playing smoothly! I don't know what could have caused it, but I guess it had something to do with the prior version of the codec pack.
    Thank you so much everyone for replying and your suggestions!
    Quote Quote