VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread
  1. Member
    Under your bed, come night I will eat you alive!
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by cameraquest; 15th Nov 2013 at 20:42.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "I would like to use it for professional work as well as for fun." You probably need to define that a little more. Most pro videographers today are using both types of cameras. DSLR's and Video Cameras. DSLR's can take good video but have a time limit. If you are just a hobby video kind of person you can get either and be very happy.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by cameraquest View Post

There are DSLRs that offer 24p (most 23.974p unfortunately...)
    Not unfortunately, mostly that's a good thing unless you are making hollywood features.
    rture/DOF) with excellent IQ, in that case I will accept only one lens.)

Originally Posted by cameraquest View Post
    should I go dv?
    DV is standard def. To answer the question you think you're asking, there's little point in going tape based these days.

I already have a DSLR capable of 1080p video
    And that is? So we have an idea of your experience.

The second problem was exposure changing while zooming. I went back to the video and noticed it was in "full auto" mode, so that explains it (though the automatic metering didn't seem very good), but that made me wonder: do dv camcorders have auto exposure lock? Can you lock autoexposure or only manual exposure?
    ANY camera in your price range will have both options.

Since you're looking to drop substantial coin, why not pick out a model or two and do a daily rental? You don't say where you're located, so this may or may not be convenient.
    Last edited by smrpix; 14th Nov 2013 at 12:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by cameraquest; 15th Nov 2013 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by cameraquest; 15th Nov 2013 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. hi, it seems that your a bit of a pixel peeper from what you have written so far, however thats besides the point.

i shoot weddings, and recently upgraded to panasonic AG-AC90 cameras for this, and there was one reason why i went for this camera.

i shoot entirely in hand held mode, using my own custom made camera mounting rigs, and i need the best Image Stabilization and Auto Focus systems i can get, and they must be built into the body, and for this, i chose that camera.

i wanted to go the Sony nex VG900 which is a full frame 35mm camera with interchangeable lens system, but it has no AF or IS built into the body, they are totally lens dependent.

the VG900 was also double the price, both shoot avchd onto card, but the deal breaker for me was the AC90 shoots 1080/50p @ 28Mbps and the VG900 only shoots 1080/25p, and for my style of shooting, where i do lots of slow panning shooting progressive 50fps is a no brainer, 25fps just doesnt cut it for me.

i am now in the process of buying a couple of australian made Atomos Ninja 2 recording units to run with my cams during some of my shoots, but these units only record 1080/25p not my preferred 1080/50p.

http://www.atomos.com/ninja/

the up side to these Ninja 2 recording boxes is the recording format.

i will be able to shoot and record 1080/25p ProRes HD @ up to 220Mbps directly from the camera sensor thru hdmi onto a laptop hdd inside the Ninja 2, plus the Ninja also becomes an external 5" preview screen, and it can also be used as an external battery power supply for the camera.

for the most part i will probably still shoot weddings in 1080/50p avchd @ 28Mbps, but having this ninja unit will give me the added bonus of going ProRes if i need to.

the AG-AC90 cameras cost me $2000au each, the ninja 2 units are $650au, so i get a brilliant camera plus ProRes recording for under $3000au and the VG900 is $3500au for the body, add another $1500+ for one decent lens with AF/IS built in, plus $650au for the ninja to shoot ProRes, i was up for around $6000.

i personally cant tolerate using DSLR type cameras for shooting video, i am more a traditionalist, and just prefer using a dedicated video camera.

oh, btw i also have a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera and i can shoot in RawDNG and ProRes HQ using that, but the body is so small and with a big lens attached, it really is a handful to shoot with, plus it has to have an external screen attached because the screen on the camera is fixed, cant move the camera around and shoot from any angle except from in front of your face.

will be selling it, not that happy with it unfortunately.
    Quote Quote