VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dang, I've dug through Google for a while now searching unsuccessfully for what may be a non-existent device!

But it doesn't seem like it should be that odd - maybe I'm overlooking the obvious:

I have a video inspection device that displays a live image on a 2.5 in. screen. There is also an A/V output jack.

I'd really like to be able to do a real time video capture, to a portable (battery powered) device that just records the video onto maybe an SD card. Later, back at the shop I can transfer the recorded video to my PC and edit, etc.

Yeah, I guess I could hold my Android phone over the inspection device's screen and start a video of the screen, but it sure seems like there would be a simple stand alone device that takes A/V input and records to SD card. There are a million little devices that just pass the A/V input straight through and out a USB port to a computer for recording and processing, but how about just recording it straight to a memory card?

Anyone seen something as exotic as that, lol?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard of anything like that before either until I Googled it:
    http://www.vivaladeals.com/p-1128-vupoint-solutions-digital-video-converter-av-to-sdsd...0b-vp-bx4.aspx
    There are no problems - only chances to excel.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, that's about as close as I've seen - the concept is exactly right! I need to check on the portability ...looks like it's using a 120vac to 5vdc power converter ...

Good find!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably what you're looking for is a micro DVR. Some here: http://www.supercircuits.com/Digital-Video-Recorders/Micro-DVRs/ You should be able to find others with an internet search for ' micro dvrs '. A cheap camcorder may work also, if it has composite inputs.

Most use SD cards. Make sure the devices have composite inputs. They most often save in H.264 video format. Watch out for proprietary formats that a few use that are only playable with a special software player.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Geez, I see a wealth of information on the forum ...lots of experienced folks!

I was wondering about looking more deeply at DVR devices ...yes and as you mentioned, the big problem is finding inputs! I thought I'd found one but, alas, it was some kind of power adapter input ...

I hadn't thought about the proprietary formats stuff - I'll watch out for that.

We're so micro-sized and varied in electronics now that I was thinking a gadget like this would be easy as heck to find -Wrong.

Thanks for the welcome ...I can see how it might be real easy to while away too much more of the day enjoying some of the threads!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might also look for 'Spy' devices. A good 'Security' store probably has a bunch of different pocket sized video recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ot, thanks - hadn't thought of that. That reminds me of when I was a kid and LOVED to hang out all afternoon at a shop that sold magic tricks and stuff ...wonder if I'm going to end up the same way on a security gadgets website.
    Quote Quote