VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have been using u torrent with yi fi ok ---new pc using u torrent doesn't work now just wont save, do you now have to purchase u torrent???
    Last edited by Baldrick; 25th Apr 2014 at 02:16. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our computer section. torrent is not really video related.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No you don't have purchase utorrent
    What error message or post Logger list
    but post names or screeen shot of what you download, otherwise the post will be locked
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kevinshere View Post
    new pc using u torrent doesn't work now just wont save
    uTorrent have their own support forum:
    http://forum.utorrent.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just goto oldapps.com and get an old version of µtorrent

(I recommend 2.0.4, or 1.8.5 at least).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Utorrent is still free. You do not have to purchase it.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2 View Post
    Utorrent is still free. You do not have to purchase it.
    This.

The OP hasn't provided enough info in that vaguely worded post to know what exactly "won't save". For all we know it could be that uTorrent is fine but he can't get a particular torrent because nobody is serving it any more and that is what "won't save". It happens. But I checked and uTorrent is not forcing people to buy it. They still have a free version. They'd like you to buy various versions with various things you get for the money over the free one, but you don't have to buy it. I've got a free version and it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd ditch uTorrent. It's gotten bloated. qTorrent is build like the older uTorrent was.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    I'd ditch uTorrent. It's gotten bloated. qTorrent is build like the older uTorrent was.
    Interesting...... I'd never hear of qBittorrent until now (I assume that's what you were referring to?).
    I downloaded it and gave it a bit of a spin. Comparing it to uTorrent (I'm running uTorrent 2.2.1, as it's the last version before uTorrent reached my bloat limit).......

It doesn't have the "speed" tab. Not completely necessary I'll confess, but I would miss it a little.

I absolutely hated the "search torrent content" function at first as the search bar takes up screen real estate, but after using it a few times I've settled down to simply disliking it for the moment. We may become friends eventually.

I hate the way the "availability bar" appears and disappears according to whether you select a running torrent, or not. It makes everything below it move up and down. That seems a little dumb to me.

De-selecting individual files in a torrent is a little easier using qBittorrent.

There appears to be no way to "force start" a torrent (over-ride the existing queue settings and starting a torrent independently). That's a mixed bag for me. It might stop the kids from being tempted to run too many torrents simultaneously and slowing the internet connection down to nothing as a result, which might help with my blood pressure, while on the other hand I find it an extremely useful function, because I can check if a torrent has seeds without disrupting the currently downloading torrent.

uTorrent lets you start, pause or stop a torrent. qBittorrent only lets you start or pause, unless I'm missing the obvious. If you have a bunch of torrents in the queue set to download two at a time (for example), you can start them all and the first two will commence while the rest wait. If you stop the first two using uTorrent the next two in the queue start, but if you pause the first two they don't, so you're effectively pausing torrent activity. There's no way to "Pause" using qBittorrent, because pause and stop are the same thing.

qBittorrent doesn't seem to run additional "Apps" or have a built in media player, or try to organise your life.... which is of course a good thing. There's no unnecessary bloat.

I hadn't intended to write a review..... but I started playing around with qBittorrent while I was posting. It definitely feels like uTorrent without any bloat, but has a couple of functionality differences which I think will keep me running uTorrent 2.2.1 for the foreseeable future. Others may not care as none of the differences are "deal breakers". I can't say I've tried any speed comparisons between the two. My internet connection is too slow for that anyway.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th May 2014 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

It doesn't have the "speed" tab. Not completely necessary I'll confess, but I would miss it a little.
    That's a deal breaker for me. In the past I had to limit my upload speed or I had big problems with my connection. I've just left it on even though I'm theoretically using a more reliable connection now because the limited speed definitely doesn't cause me problems with my connection.

Thanks for your detailed review. I think I'll also pass because your review let me know that qBittorrent is not anything I'm interested in trying at present.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can still limit the over-all upload and download speed, pretty much the same way as you can do it with uTorrent. For uTorrent you can change them on the fly by clicking on the upload/download speed area in the statusbar and selecting one of the pre-configured maximum speeds. For qBittorrent you get a popup slider to adjust them.

I like having the speed tab though, because it displays a graph of your speed history. I think the graph can display up to the previous hour, depending how it's set. That's handy for me as my connection isn't completely stable. It's nice to be able to check if it's been running slow for a while as then I know maybe I need to reset the router. It's not a big issue..... maybe I'm just used to it being there.... qBittorrent still displays the current total download/upload speed in the status bar as uTorrent does.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th May 2014 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes I meant qBittorrent. It's a lot like the older uTorrent but yes there are some areas that could be tweaked. Hopefully the author will take note and apply some of those changes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well qBittorrent suddenly stopped working for me. It'll pick up the link but never downloads and crashes if you try to mess with settings. I'm not sure what changed since there hasn't been a program update for a while. Maybe an update killed it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using version 3.0.11 of qBitTorrent. So far, so good
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!