VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using SolveigMM Video Splitter to trim some .avi files but the resulting video is missing an index: in some of them when I scroll to random part of the video, the whole screen is grey while audio is good, and it repairs itself after a few seconds, and then I can scroll without problems. In some other videos, some frames in first few seconds become very blocky, but when I return to them later, they are actually not broken. Or sometimes the whole video just freezes. In some of them everything seems to be OK, but VLC tells me that index is missing anyway, while MPC-HC doesn't tell me anything, but problems still happen. It's SolveigMM's fault because it doesn't happen in original videos. What should I change in Solveig's settings to stop this from happening?
    All .avi videos are:

- mpeg4 simple profile, yuv420p
    - mp3 track, but Hz and kb/s are different in each one

I don't know if it matters, but these are the same videos I had this problem with: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365377-SolveigMM-Video-Splitter-frame-accuracy-not-...67#post2329367

I tried saving the file in virtualdub and avidemux, but avidemux didn't repair it at all, and virtualdub gives me error when I try to open the file.
    Last edited by Freodon; 30th Jun 2014 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried VirtualDub for the actual trimming?

Open an AVI, then use the keyframe buttons on the navigation bar to jump between keyframes (they're the ones with a pic of a key on them), or hold down the Shift key while navigating. Set the edit points as required and you can edit or save sections as a new AVI (under the Video menu, select Direct Stream Copy as the compression method).

Or Video To Video Converter has some editors/cutters under it's Tools menu.

I've never used SolveigMM Video Splitter myself so someone else will have to try to help there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try running them through AviDemux it may be able to repair them.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Virtualdub gives me this error even when I try to open the original file:

Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Try running them through AviDemux it may be able to repair them.
    I tried. The file was saved successfully but grey screen when scrolling to random part of the video still exists.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install the xvid codec.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Install the xvid codec.
    Well, I saved as AVI and there are no grey screen issues, but filesize raised from 56 MB to 6,51 GB... that's quite ridiculous, why does that happen?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Select Video->Direct Stream copy and Audio->Direct stream copy.

Or else will Virtualdub save as uncompressed video = HUUUGE.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Select Video->Direct Stream copy and Audio->Direct stream copy.

Or else will Virtualdub save as uncompressed video = HUUUGE.
    That worked. Thanks for your help!

@EDIT
    Actually, there's another problem now. It will only cut on keyframes. How to force frame accuracy while maintaining decent quality and rational file size?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can choose video-> fast recompress and then choose the xvid codec under video-> compression. Click configure to edit the xvid settings, quality setting or bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Enabling "smart rendering" under the Video menu might work. I've never used it myself but it's supposed to just re-encode what's necessary around the cut point (if it's not on a keyframe) and copy the rest. You have to choose a compression method other than Direct Stream Copy though. I've never used the smart rendering option myself, but I'm pretty sure there's info in the VirtualDub help file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. After selecting xvid codec and smart rendering, it worked frame-accurate, but in the output video, the same grey screen issue happens, same as with SolveigMM Video Splitter. I tried different processing modes but it didn't solve the issue.

Here's file information of the original video:
    Last edited by Freodon; 1st Jul 2014 at 08:44.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've used smart rendering in VirtualDub with Xvid. It works.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, I would upload this .avi file, but it seems that would be against this forum's rules. I do have this problem though, it doesn't work as it should.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Upload a short sample that shows the problem. Short sample = fair use
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've uploaded the file. It's extracted with virtualdub.
    Oddly, no issues happen when played using Windows Media Player, but MPC-HC and VLC give grey screen when scrolling somewhere in the video, and scrolling seems to be buggy (it scrolls to another place than I click).
    Grey screen seems to happen only when you scroll just as you launch the video because it repairs itself in a few seconds.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 1.avi (9.60 MB, 48 views)
    Last edited by Freodon; 1st Jul 2014 at 12:32.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I don't get a grey screen when playing your sample (MPC-HC) but there is an issue decoding the first part properly. Oddly enough it only happens the first time I play the sample and after that it plays fine unless I close the player and start again, but it appears to relate to the smart rendering. I don't know how to fix it though.

The same thing happens when opening the sample using MeGUI (no matter how I open it), except the problem still remains after playing the video the once.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	26010

Same with VLC for me. Obviously parts of the frame aren't being decoded properly, but there's no grey screen or index warning.

Sorry.... I'm not much help.

Originally Posted by Freodon View Post
    Oddly, no issues happen when played using Windows Media Player, but MPC-HC and VLC give grey screen when scrolling somewhere in the video, and scrolling seems to be buggy (it scrolls to another place than I click).
    For MPC-HC..... View/Options/Tweaks and unchecking "fast seek on keyframes" will probably fix the scrolling.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st Jul 2014 at 14:42.
    Quote Quote  
  17. What I meant about grey screen is that when you scroll somewhere immediately after opening the video (you have to be fast) the screen goes completely grey for a fraction of second and then it progressively repairs itself, looking like this:

And a few seconds afterwards, grey parts disappear and video plays normally.
    Maybe this just happens on my PC, I'm probably gonna check it on another PC.
    MPC-HC doesn't seem to warn about broken indexes, but VLC warned me after I trimmed this video with SolveigMM Video Splitter. In this case (virtualdub), it indeed doesn't give a warning anymore (I normally use MPC-HC so I checked it in VLC just now), despite the same problems occurring that occurred before.
    And yeah, I too have this blocky frames at the beginning of the video.
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    For MPC-HC..... View/Options/Tweaks and unchecking "fast seek on keyframes" will probably fix the scrolling.
    That worked, scrolling is now fully accurate.
    Last edited by Freodon; 1st Jul 2014 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
  18. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, this is what MediaInfo said about the sample file "1.avi":

Code:
    Writing application                      : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2439/release)

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile                           : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP                    : 2
    Format settings, QPel                    : No
    Format settings, GMC                     : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode                              : Packed bitstream
    Strangely enough, only the first GOP of the sample contains B-frames, according to Elecard StreamEye:

Code:
    I P P P B P B B P B B P B B P B B P B B P B B P I
    According to MPlayer, the stream itself is somehow b0rked:

Code:
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (39 left FFFFFF, score= -23)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]concealing 768 DC, 768 AC, 768 MV errors in I frame
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (37 left FFFFFF, score= -22)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]concealing 768 DC, 768 AC, 768 MV errors in P frame
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (36 left FFFFFF, score= -21)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (35 left FFFFFF, score= -20)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (32 left FFFFFF, score= -19)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (34 left FFFFFF, score= -18)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (35 left FFFFFF, score= -17)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (35 left FFFFFF, score= -16)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (32 left FFFFFF, score= -15)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (36 left FFFFFF, score= -14)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (35 left FFFFFF, score= -13)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (34 left FFFFFF, score= -12)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (35 left FFFFFF, score= -11)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (34 left FFFFFF, score= -10)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (39 left FFFFFF, score= -9)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (33 left FFFFFF, score= -8)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (33 left FFFFFF, score= -7)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (32 left FFFFFF, score= -6)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (34 left FFFFFF, score= -5)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (38 left FFFFFF, score= -4)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (37 left FFFFFF, score= -3)
    [mpeg4 @ 0135cc20]slice end not reached but screenspace end (32 left FFFFFF, score= -2)
    Quote Quote  
  19. The first GOP has I, B and P frames. The rest of the video only has I and P frames. Try cutting and smart rendering again with b-frames disabled in Xvid. Ie, disable B-VOP in the Xvid configuration.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The first GOP has I, B and P frames. The rest of the video only has I and P frames. Try cutting and smart rendering again with b-frames disabled in Xvid. Ie, disable B-VOP in the Xvid configuration.
    How to do it? I only found B-VOP sensitivity option which is set to 0 in Video -> Compression -> Configure -> Zone Options

But one thing bugs me: why are there no problems at all in Windows Media Player which is one of the most limited video players that can't even play .mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    In the "profile@level" item, click the button "more", then untick "B-VOPs".

Originally Posted by Freodon View Post
    But one thing bugs me: why are there no problems at all in Windows Media Player which is one of the most limited video players that can't even play .mkv?
    Only the devil knows why WMP can even play some MPGs whose audio was flagged as video and vice-versa

But IMHO, it's not a good practice to hide from the user that he/she has gotten a broken file.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Grey screen on scrolling still appears
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Freodon View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Grey screen on scrolling still appears
    Worked for me when I smart reencoded your sample, cutting the first frame. Use GSpot to check the GOP structure -- the little VGS button. Original top, smart reencoded bottom with no B frames:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gop.png
Views:	456
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	26020

Red boxes are I frames, blue boxes are P frames, green boxes are B frames.

By the way, DivFix was able to fix the bad AVI.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Smart rendering with b-vop off got me the same GSpot result as jagabo - but the breaking up video persisted.
    I used Full processing with b-vop off and the problem cleared.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The original and my smart rendered version both show one error in DivFix. But whereas the original has the grey problem frame in MPCHC (and several other players I tried) the newer version doesn't. After running the original through DivFix there are no reported errors and the file plays without problems. Here's the smart rendering version, 2.avi, and the DivFix version, DivFix.1.avi, if anyone wants to try them.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. Alright, I've decided to re-encode the whole .avi from selected part, trimming it in the process. But both with Handbrake and Windows Movie Maker, the output file had problems with audio - in Handbrake the first second or so were silent, and in WMM it was out-of-sync, delayed. I didn't try virtualdub yet, but it doesn't seem to allow to save to another video format, and I'd best have it converted to MP4/M4V
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!