VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've been googling, and browsing forums for quite a while on the subject, getting more confused..

have now a AVamp that has a component switch, want to use this to display either on my projector and soon plasma(inputs are DVD, hopefully my PC if I can get this YPrPb going(720/1080)), possibly a Bray later on), and here the problems starts as I want a YPrPb signal from my PC to the AVamp..

ok, so I've looked into some Ati cards, but..it seems they do not output a "native" YPrPb signal, from what I saw(by looking at the adaptor) the other day one of them converted s-video to componet YPrPb, but this would generally speaking be a substandard component signal, since it has been "downgraded" to s-video once, yes?

what to do? Is there any video cards that output native YPrPb component? or at least a component signal via adaptor that isn't "downgraded" prior to going out the cable?? could bye a scaler in some form but see no point in that, would make more sense to bye a new AVamp really

hope this makes sense, any and all help is welcome

Cheers!

k.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would suspect S-Video might be derived from the component output, but more likely the VGA, but not the other way around. I have a couple of cards that can output component to my projector. The motherboard on my HTPC has component on board out through a jack that looks similar to a S-Video jack. It's Mini-DIN jack. There may be some confusion because of that. My other computer with a PCI-E card also has component out through a Mini-DIN to a 'Dongle' that has the component RCA jacks.

The computer component out seems about the same as my DVD players component output, at least I don't have to change any settings, just switch the component signal from one device or the other.

I'm not sure about the 'native' part. Someone else should be able to answer that.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks redwudz!

ok, so there's hope to get this PC to AVamp going!

so if say for ex the Ati card that I looked at was in fact outputting a "clean" YPrPb through a mini-DIN(what looked in my eyes like a s-video adaptor) all things should be fine then, did browse some manufacturerrs specs but they are not that in depth, so any model/makes that actually has this is welcome

hmm, might aswell get myself a htpc, old PC might not be worth uppgradeing, you mention that your htpc mobo has component out via mini-DIN, what model/make is that? any other recommendations for a mobo that has this feature welcome to,

what I meant with "native" was that the card actually had component RCA jacks on the card itself, sorry for confusion,

Thanks!

Cheers,

k.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video out on the ATI cards may look like an S-connector but are not...ATI used the DIN connector to save real estate on the card. If you plug in the component HD dongle you get component HD, if you plug in the s-video dongle you get s-video. This question has been asked a few times before.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought an ATI HD3650 that does exactly that.
    Quote Quote