VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded the problem and imported my huge MPEG 2 file into it. I set the Video format to mpeg2video and audio format to mp3 and saved the file. It came out at about 38.1MB, half the size of the original, Now my question is however, Is how do I open that new MPEG 2 file because right now the extension only says "File".
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rename it to video.mpg. And next time add the extension .mpg in avidemux when you save.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just double checking, whats the file extension for a .MPEG 2 file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can and how do I set the kbps limit using avidemux?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You hit the video/configure button and change the encoding mode from "constant quantizer" to one of the other modes.
    and then you should be able to set target bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I not want to compress a 130MB file to a 45MB, any suggestions on how I should set the setting?
    Last edited by JasonQuinn1992; 27th Jun 2012 at 12:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    130 divided by 45 is approx. 1/3. Take the original bitrate and divide it by 1/3, then plug that into avidemux.
    If you're not sure what the original bitrate is, use Mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I did all that uou said above there and stil the total video size exceeded the 44 i set
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All these topics just confuse you and everyone who tries to help.

You simply can not half or third the bitrate of a video and expect the final size to be half ot one-third of the original.

Reason: the video has video compression and audio compression - you need to change BOTH if you wanted that.

I am going to try to make this easy for you (if that is possible in all the confusion)

Forget, for one moment the bit-rate and just consider the running time of the original - 130 meg is NOT huge and neither is 2 gb (from one of your other topics)

So now you know the running time. As a quick rule of thumb an mpeg2 dvd-compliant video of one hour at 8000 kbps(just the video) will be 4 gb (after allowing for best quality audio). So forget about the audio and apply the 8000 = 1 hour. If you want 2 hours on your dvd then you apply 4000 kbps. And if it is 90 minutes then apply 6000 kbps. Anything smaller than 4000 kbps then forget it since the final dvd will look cr@p

And as I said elsewhere, a 45 meg mpeg2 will look cr@p unlees the video is only a few seconds in running time.

I can not make this any simpler. If you want it even simpler then forget about all these programs. Just put the files in to a dvd authoring program e.g avstodvd and let that do the compression to fit the project
    Quote Quote