VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I am trying to edit a video. The length of the video is about 30 mins and plays just fine (downloaded onto my comp). But when I move it into software to edit it, it ends at about 3 mins. I notice that the file details gives the length of the video as 3 mins although the file size is right for the 30 mins.
    It's a .VOB file, I've changed it to different file formats but that didn't do anything. I'm stumped. Can anyone help, this is driving me crazy!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try converting the vob to mpg. vob2mpg usually works. if it's still listed as 3 minutes then there is most likely a corrupt spot at 3 min. sometimes you can cut it out and join the remaining parts.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. ......sorry, I meant to put this in the editing section. My brain is in a fog ........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Aedipuss, I will try changing to mpg. I can't crop out the possible corrupt bit because the rest of the video simply isn't there in the editing soft ware
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm, afraid you're not giving us enough information. What "editing software" are you using? What do you mean by "edit"?

There's no reason to convert vob to another format. A VOB file is an MPEG with different header info. It can be opened in VirtuaLDub (if you have installed its MPEG plugin). It can be opened in Avisynth with any number of plugins and read with VirtualDub. VOB2MPG simply copies a VOB to your hard drive and renames the VOB to MPG.

Perhaps you can use the free MediaInfo utility to open the vob and and copy the text from its data readout into a reply here. Otherwise, we're just guessing.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm just using windows movie maker to edit. I just want to crop the beginning and end of this clip and attach it to another clip.
    I can play the full length file with Windows media player and cyberlink powerdvd 9 of about 30 mins.
    When I try to do something with it in other software it ends at about 3 mins as if the clip is only that long. I just tried to play it from the file convertor and it ends at 3 mins there too. The file converter is Any video converter.

I'll see if I can get the data text now......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2cay2 View Post
    I'm just using windows movie maker to edit. I just want to crop the beginning and end of this clip and attach it to another clip.
    I can play the full length file with Windows media player and cyberlink powerdvd 9 of about 30 mins.
    When I try to do something with it in other software it ends at about 3 mins as if the clip is only that long. I just tried to play it from the file convertor and it ends at 3 mins there too. The file converter is Any video converter.

I'll see if I can get the data text now......
    That would be helpful.

Meanwhile, I see mention of 2 effective ways of quickly degrading whatever quality your VOB's have to begin with:
    - Windows Movie Maker
    - Any Video Converter
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is this what you need?

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Linda\Desktop\dvd\VTS_01_1.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1 024 MiB
    Duration : 3mn 28s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 41.1 Mbps
    Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 40.1 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 4 500 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.864
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 998 MiB (97%)
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601
    Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -80ms
    Stream size : 5.57 MiB (1%)
    Menu
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The media info data in line #5 of the above post states that the length of the VOB is 3-minutes 28-seconds. If you get longer playback than that, there must be additional VOB files on the disc.

41.1 mbps bitrate is invalid for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are 4 files from the dvd. The one I'm have problems with is the first one. I'm only using the one file to play and try to edit. I don't understand it at all. Am I missing something?

"41.1 mbps bitrate is invalid for DVD." This means nothing to me, is there something I can do about it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The maximum bitrate for standard DVD is around 9.8 mbps. I'm surprised an encoder would let anyone use 41.1 mbps for a DVD. Many DVD players would have problems playing DVD's encoded at higher than 8 mbps. If you say you have a 30-minute movie, the remaining length would be on the other VOB's.
    Standard DVD specs: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech
    standard DVD file structure on disc: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It probably means you incorrectly ripped the disc and the resulting file could be corrupt. You would then have to start all over & re-rip the disc (correctly this time).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks Sanlyn.
    The disc players fine and the files from it that I put on the computer play fine too. It's just the duration times are all over the place (just noticed file 3 says it's 26 hours, go figure!). The moment I move file 1 into a programme to do anything with it, it believes the duration time of 3 ish mins even though it's really 30 odd. Buggered if I know why. Still none the wiser, but thanks for trying to help
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi Scott, it was the same when I read the files direct from the dvd.
    I didn't rip them with a programme I just found the dvd's files in 'my computer' then copied them into a folder. If I ripped them with software could that make a difference?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep. That was likely the culprit (just "finding them in 'My Computer'"). Use appropriate ripping software that correctly removes the ripguard or whatever is obfuscating your process, and then have it correctly concatenate the files (because it sounds like there might be more than one needed).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks Scott. I'll give that a go.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Fingers crossed, but it seems to be working!
    I downloaded Freemake Video Converter and it is reading the dvd and allowing me to view and edit the clips I want. Just converting the first one now, but all is looking good at last! Thanks Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, Freemake isn't what I would have recommended, but if it works for you, great.

Scott
    Quote Quote