VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Helloo there .. Is there is any difference interms of movie quality when it comes to play bluray movies between ps3 and wd mediaplayer

Thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The WD supports a lot of formats that the PS3 does not, but BluRay isn't supported by any WD players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. But i read that it supports m2ts format .. Isn't this the bluray format ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    m2ts is the ripped file format. The physical bluray discs are not supported by any add on for any wdtv players.

If you want to play bluray discs get the ps3.

The ps3 will play m2ts files but I don't believe it will play straight ripped bluray files. At the very least there is the fat32 issue - the ps3 will only use fat32 usb drives and that limits the individual file size to 4gb.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks .. Sorry i meant m2ts rips instead of bluray .. I don't have a bluray disk I have the rips only i should have mentioned that In my first question .. So now that wd plays the rips . Would it have a lower quality than the ps3 or the same ??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by alolo View Post
    So now that wd plays the rips . Would it have a lower quality than the ps3 or the same ??
    They aren't rips if rips are defined as exact copies. Almost all of those things have been reencoded for a smaller size so, of course, they'll be of lower quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The size of my m2ts is around 37 gb .. I think they r exactly the same copy then .. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word rips i should have used copy .. But my concern is because the ps3 has a good video card .. While the wd player is just a player .. So would my m2ts movie plays the same in terms of quality if I use wd or ps3 ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt that you could tell any difference in quality between playing video on a WD media player and a PS3. Do note that high def audio codecs such as DTS-HD and Dolby Lossless are not supported on WD players. If you have an external receiver that can decode them you can pass the audio out to the receiver and that might work. I say "might" because I have no way to test this - my receiver is old enough that it cannot play high def audio codecs. DTS and AC3 work fine with the WD players, but in the case of DTS you will need a receiver that can decode it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. so basically what ur saying if i get a receiver or an amp, and connect it through optical cable with the wd player .. i MIGHT get the hd sound right ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alolo
    so basically what ur saying if i get a receiver or an amp, and connect it through optical cable with the wd player .. i MIGHT get the hd sound right ??
    Correct on the "might" issue. I was just discussing this was another user and what we are not sure of is whether or not the wdtv will downsample the hd audio over fiber optic cable.

Basically hd audio is only really viable over hdmi.

I can get 5.1 non hd audio from my bluray discs on my ps3 over fiber optic but it is the ps3 sending a downconverted signal to my amp. I am not sure the wdtv is capable of this function.

------------------------------------------------------

I believe there must be a way to downconvert the hd audio to plain old dolby digital audio. i know eac3to allows you to lower the bitrate so you can squeeze bluray video into a smaller container. I do not know if it can properly convert a full-on hd audio file into a true "normal" dvd level 5.1 audio file. That I am not sure about. I can do it to lower the hd audio bitrate but I am not sure if it converts it to "vanilla" 5.1.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    The ps3 will play m2ts files but I don't believe it will play straight ripped bluray files. At the very least there is the fat32 issue - the ps3 will only use fat32 usb drives and that limits the individual file size to 4gb.
    Yes and no.

Ext USB drives have to be FAT32.

However, it is possible to copy files > 4GB to the PS3 internal HD using a media server, or the PS3 will also play files > 4GB from a NAS drive on the same network.

I don't think it will play m2ts files however - you'll need to make an mkv of them using mkv2vob or such like. This does not need a re-encode unless the video is VC-1.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegdus
    I don't think it will play m2ts files however - you'll need to make an mkv of them using mkv2vob or such like. This does not need a re-encode unless the video is VC-1.
    Perhaps I should have been more specific. It does play h264 m2ts files I record via my hauppauge hd pvr. that may mean it doesn't play all types of m2ts files. But it does play avchd discs of course.

Thanks for mentioning the nas option. However it seems the poster isn't looking for streaming means though it is an alternative.
    Quote Quote