VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anybody have some feed back on this recorder? There isn't much out there. I know it has no tuner-not a problem for me.
    Main use is to copy camcorder dv to DVD discs for further processing on computer, and to copy from VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This otta' be fun
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one last month following the purchase and nearly immediate return of a Magnavox H2160MW9.

It isn't bad for straight analog to DVD and I've confirmed it will record to -/+ R, -/+ RW, and RAM discs, plus it has firewire, SD Card, and USB inputs, two line inputs, and HDMI out.

Your choices in the under $200.00 price range are severely limited.
    The reason I settled on the Panasonic was for the flexible record function.
    I also tried the Sony and Toshiba models (Toshiba 410 and 420; the Sony model number, I can't remember) and wasn't as satisfied with the build quality, plus Sony has no model in that price range with S-Video in and out.

Picture quality is good up to about 2.5 hours and the LP (4 hour) mode is better than it was in older models.

On the negative side, editing is virtually non-existent on this unit. Panasonic did away with the "shorten segment" feature and replaced it with a crappy add chapter/delete chapter function that is not only cumbersome, but lacking in precision by any measure.

Still, if you're looking for a sub $200.00 unit, it's the only one I've tried that I felt was worthy of buying. I paid $184.00 delivered.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a older Panasonic (DMR-ES40V) it boke down about a year after I got it (it was still under warranty) and Panisonic fixed, other than that it has been a good uint. I like the DVD-RAM feature as I can copy the *.VSO file to my computer and rename it *.MPG and edit the file. The recording/picture quality is decent forthe price. The problem with different Panasonic models is there is a varying degree of reliability. Hope yours works well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, did you buy the Panny ?
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote