VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've authored a DVD in Encore, then used PGCEdit to change the layer break, and set it to burn with ImgBurn after creating the ISO. ImgBurn, however, pops up an error, saying that the 'User specified layer break position exceeds L0 capacity'.

If I close ImgBurn, then reopen and attempt to burn the ISO that way, it says:
    ---------------------------
    ImgBurn
    Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_01)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the 'DVD-Video specification' criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?
    Yes No

I get the same result if I author an ISO straight from Encore, then try to burn that with ImgBurn.

What on earth is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    don't use pgcedit to set the layer break...let Imgburn do it...it will give you a few options to choose from when it wants to set it...i've used it many times in the past with no problems
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    don't use pgcedit to set the layer break...let Imgburn do it...it will give you a few options to choose from when it wants to set it...i've used it many times in the past with no problems
    ImgBurn rarely gives me a decent spot for the layer break. Not to mention I get the same error doing it that way anyway, as I said in the OP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have found PgcEdit to be reliable for setting layer breaks, but I would listen to ImgBurn above PgcEdit. I remember your previous thread related to this. Honestly, must of us are just hobbyests. I don't create DVDs for anything more than the entertainment of family and friends. I just need it to work. I almost never create dual layer DVDs. If I have to set a layer break I just set it wherever PgcEdit suggests. You obviously have needs that go beyond what most of us do. I think you're going to have to get advice from someone who creates DVDs on a professional basis as Moontrash's post is basically what I already said - we just need the layer break to work and don't care too much beyond that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In ImgBurn, if you use the About box to find About ImgBurn, there's a contact email address for the author. Maybe getting in touch with him about your concerns would be more helpful than waiting for someone here to provide more than "just need it to work" advice.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As I said to Moontrash, though, the error occurs whether I use PGCEdit or not. I can't burn the disc, period. Even if I were happy to put up with the layer break being in the middle of Rob Feaster taking a jump shot - which I'm not, particularly - I'd be having problems. And given that I've got two and a half hours of footage, a single layer disc is out of the question.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I've no idea what the actual problem is, but someone on the ImgBurn forums suggested burning the VIDEO_TS folder, rather than the ISO, and that appears to have done the trick - complete with giving me as many layer break options as PGCEdit did. Odd.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    As I said to Moontrash, though, the error occurs whether I use PGCEdit or not. I can't burn the disc, period. Even if I were happy to put up with the layer break being in the middle of Rob Feaster taking a jump shot - which I'm not, particularly - I'd be having problems. And given that I've got two and a half hours of footage, a single layer disc is out of the question.
    I used to regularly make single layer DVDs out of similar amounts of video from TV captures. If you don't want to use single layer that's fine, nothing wrong with that, but there is nothing magical about 2.5 hours that prevents it. That's just your personal preference.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm usually happy with the quality of a single-layer disc up to about an hour 45, but no further. Being basketball, there's a lot of movement and basically no still shots of anything, so it needs a decent bitrate or it looks woeful.

That said, I've seen four hours put on a single layer disc before, and it's watchable, but it's ugly as all hell.
    Quote Quote