VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having problems setting the custom resolution on my graphics card to 1366x768 60Hz which is the one suggested by the manufacturer of the HDTV I am using. I have plugged in a DVI to HDMI cable. At the moment I gave been using the closest resolution which is 1368x768, though this gives a poor quality image ie. the text is nearly unreadable when small, and images look like slightly posterized:

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-100267-21366/Pic1.jpg

I have contacted Ebuyer.com, seller/manufacturer of the Foehn & Hirst TV and they have offered no help. Using the custom resolution settings in the Intel control panel I can select a resolution of 1366x768 but only 30Hz is available which makes the display like this:

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-100267-21372/Pic2.jpg

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem other than buying another, better TV?
    Last edited by Baldrick; 14th Sep 2010 at 06:54. Reason: Links to images
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the images to just links or it would be hard to read this thread.

It's called 1:1 pixel mapping when you try to get same resolution as the hdtv. See http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained .

But I don't think you will be able to get 1366x768 perfect with your card....I can't get it with my ati card...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cheers, I couldn't work the image attachments out.

Thanks for the quick response. I have read into pixel mapping and tried to use Powerstrip software to sort the problem but had no luck.

Would you recommend I considering buying different HDTV that doesn't overscan? Although not many manufacturers stipulate whether it happens or not....

I have had the PC through a 50" Pioneer TV and the picture quality was perfect without me having to change any settings!

Thanks
    Matt
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the problem is that your TV takes the incoming image, resizes it to about 1428x806, then shows the middle 1360x768 portion (simulating overscan). Digital resizing results in artifacts like you are seeing. (With 30 Hz output I think your computer was putting out an interlaced signal and the TV was deinterlacing resulting in even worse quality.) If you switch to VGA your HDTV probbably won't overscan since it knows that comes from a computer where you need to see the entire image.

If VGA doesn't help, you can't convince your HDTV not to overscan, and you need to read small text on the TV, you'll need to get a TV that doesn't overscan. Most Samsung and Sony 1080p LCDs have non-overscan options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK, I'll buy one of those then. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  6. On my Samsung the non-overscan mode is called "Just Scan". You get it by pressing the button on the remote that cycles between 4:3, 16:9, Zoom, Just Scan, etc. I don't remember what Sony calls it. Some call it pixel-for-pixel, or 1:1 pixel mapping, etc.
    Quote Quote