VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using MeGui and Ripbot to encode my BD rips.

Using MKV X264, High settings, Slower, 2pass 11000 for BD. etc Its doing the task in around 8-10 hours.

My computer specs are Intel core i5 650, 6GB RAM. 2TB HDD. What do i need to do or upgrade to get the encodes down in time.
    3 hours would be acceptable lol.

Is this down to my processor?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is your target file size?

It's relevant inasmuch as a great deal of the extra time required for slower encoding settings is spent calculating/ allocating bitrate to best advantage. Still scenes need less, fast motion needs more.

Now, if your target file size is, oh, more than BD9 size (i.e. ~7.95 GB, the size of a double-layer DVDR), then slower settings are a case of vastly diminishing returns. You might try dropping down your encoder settings one step and compare encoding times. View an encode with the faster setting to one done with the slower setting. You might find them indistinguishable on your display.

When I re-encode a Blu-Ray movie to single-layer BDR with BDRB, I use the high-speed BDR option, one-pass. For the simple reason that the bitrate will be ample and it's unnecessary to closely calculate where to allocate every last bit. I cannot tell the difference on my new 65" LED-LCD. Most encodes come in at approx one hour on my machine.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 11th Feb 2012 at 08:54.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A faster CPU is the only way to reduce encode times. Your i5-650 is a dual-core. Quad-core-i5-2500k for example. Your motherboard will likely accept the i5-2500k since your running an 1155 CPU. A 3 hour encode time requires a quadcore. Software tweaking will improve times very little. You want to use 2 pass?
    Last edited by wulf109; 11th Feb 2012 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As fritzi93 mentioned above, if hardware upgrade isn't an option: instead of using "slower" settings preset, is to use something "faster"

try --preset faster or veryfast
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    try --preset faster or veryfast
    Even ultrafast. And switch to single pass encoding -- CRF.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Buy another PC (or strong laptop) and use Distributed Encoding in Ripbot264

I have two PCs Q6600@3Ghz and Q8200@2.8Ghz and I get ~20 fps in Distributed Encoding mode (1920x1080 CRF22 Default x264 settings) instead of ~10 fps
    Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 14th Feb 2012 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote