VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. does anyone have any experience with this drive? I'd like to install one in my htpc but am worried about the hardware requirements especially requiring vista as an os? I currently have a socket 754 amd 3400 on an msi k8n neo platinum 7030board with 2gb of ddr2 667 ram with diamond hd2600 pro agp card. My current os is media center rollout2. I have a microsoft hd dvd add on attatched via usb to this computer and am able to get hddvd playback with good results with the above combo. Do i have to upgrade my cpu and motherboard and os to be able to use the pioneer drive as i was hoping the hd2600 card would take up the brunt of bluray playback and wanted to avoid running vista. I can get the drive at and affordable price but it wont be returnable. i'm dying to get some bluray movies happening on my htpc asap as i already have hddvd going relatively "smoothly"

any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
    vR
    Quote Quote  
  2. bump

anyone?
    vR
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vrdvd
    bump

anyone?
    I got it as a xmas present and I would recommend looking for another drive...it does not play at all with AMD 690G (it says so in the fine print in an obscure manual (which was not in the box)). Judging from the list of supported mobo's this must be an older drive. The one I have only has 2MB of cache. I tried to put it in my 2yr old gaming system (supports that mobo) and the sfw puked on my video card (not new enuf). So if your chompin' to play blu ray...buy a ps3 and wait for the internal drive prices to come down.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, no cables come with it. You would think for $300 they could throw in some $5 cables.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, it's not the AMD690G it has a problem with it's the AMD SB600.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kd0x
    Sorry, it's not the AMD690G it has a problem with it's the AMD SB600.
    hey thanks for all your posts and information!

I'm not going to bother with a burner till prices come way down. I will concentrate on an internal bluray player though
    vR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BDC S 202??
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote