VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm having a rough time encoding to XVCD (MPEG-1, 704x480, 1300 CBR) to play on my standalone Panasonic RV-31. The XVCD plays fine and I love the quality, but the encoding time is killing me! It took 13 hours to encode Cast Away (143 minutes) with these settings...

VCD (MPEG-1, 352x240, 1150 CBR) is slightly faster (8 hours), but this is unbearable! Any ideas for improving the speed or is this normal?

I'm running a Celeron 667 (upgraded from an ABIT BH6 with an overclocked Celeron 300A), 256 MB RAM, Windows 2000 Pro.... I'm rather proud of this computer since it's been running for 3 years on that old Celeron 300A without any problems or noticeable speed issues until now!

I'd rather not buy a new computer, but if I can cut that time in half, it might just be worth it.... P4 or Athlon????

Also, if I encode XVCD at 352x240 with a high CBR (say 2000), will the quality be as good as 704x480 at a lower bitrate like 1250?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. A faster computer seems to be your only answer in this situation. Yes, video encoding by software is the most CPU intensive application I ever run in my life (my career is software developement). Never seen something like this. I was very happy with my old 266Mhz until doing video stuff.

You can try Athlon 1.4GHz (or faster if you can afford it).
    This will definitely cut down the encoding time in half.
    Quote Quote