VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a ripped DVD with audio only in the right channel. Can I somehow edit the VOB files to make it audible across both channels in mono?

My ultimate goal is to encode this to mp4. I tried doing so with handbrake, setting the "mixdown" to mono, but the resulting file had no audio at all.

Is there some other encoding software that would mix the right channel to mono during the conversion process, or do I need to edit the VOB files before encoding? What software would do this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try avidemux. Open the first vob from the DVD. Under video choose your codec like xvid,h264. Under Audio choose mp3,aac,etc. Under Audio Filters and mixer and set it to mono. You probably want to crop and resize the video also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Baldrick. AviDemux did it, but the current version produces mp4s that are unplayable on QuickTime, so I ended up using Nero Recode, which also successfully created a mono channel and plays on QuickTime.

The one issue, is that playback with QuickTime is very CPU intensive. It uses over half of my Core 2 Duo, producing a choppy screen. Meanwhile, VLC plays it fine. What's up with that?
    Quote Quote