VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, here's my problem...

I have several anime episodes that I've downloaded, and I want to put them on a DVD. But I've come to realize that most of them have audio tracks that are often either longer or shorted (by as much as 2-3 seconds in some cases) than the videos--they are still in synch, just differing lengths.

I need an synth script that can (depending on which is shorter) either add black frames or silent audio to even them up to each other automatically. I suppose that I could still do this manually, but having an automated method would be ideal.
    where bananas go to church...
    ...a monkey will be their preacher
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since there is audio or video data present and they are still in sync, I would leave them alone. It shouldn't present any problems in conversion or playback.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm trying to put them together in sequence in a single VOB title... it's not really necessary, but that's sort of what I was trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why should you be concerned with the # of VOBs? On a Video DVD (the only relevant place for a VOB) they grow to 1 GB, then a new VOB is created. A video title (or episode) can be in one or all or anything in between. All this is taken care of by the authoring app, and nothing you can (nor should) be concerned with. You concern is to get the source material for the authoring app in order.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why should you be concerned with the # of VOBs?
    Strictly speaking, I don't care about the number of them per se.

On a Video DVD (the only relevant place for a VOB) they grow to 1 GB, then a new VOB is created.
    Normally I just run my source material through NeroVision Express, and presto! Occasionally, I do author small chunks in other apps (like QuEnc) and then reassemble those VOB files into another app (usually DVDAuthorGUI), but most of my stuff is done in VDubMod, AviSynth, and Nero... and nothing else. If I ever have an issue with the size of the VOB file, then I just use a "copy command".

A video title (or episode) can be in one or all or anything in between.
    You're gonna get a visit from the Lol Wut Pear one of these days.

All this is taken care of by the authoring app, and nothing you can (nor should) be concerned with. You concern is to get the source material for the authoring app in order.
    This is normally the case.

My whole point is that normally I don't mess with this much crud, but I've a whole bunch of stuff that I'd like to arrange a specific way. It's not absolutely essential to my master plan, but I'm basically looking for a quick way to adjust the lengths of the audio and video for AviSynth "SCRIPT PROCESSING". I learned the hard way over an unrelated project that AviSynth treats the audio and video streams as seperate things, which when multiple clips are added together, have "total lengths" that lose synch with each other. In this particular instance, I'm looking to take the result and stick THAT into Nero. Even processing them in seperate scripts beforehand only partially corrects my problem, so I need a better solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've found it difficult to edit in VDub and not get sync problems.

So if you're going to convert to MPEG, encode to separate clips, then use an MPEG editor to join or trim your clips. I use Womble MPEG-VCR, fast, reliable and doesn't recode.

Cut, paste, save as MPEG; demux then author in your choice of apps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sweetfreek
    My whole point is that normally I don't mess with this much crud
    My whole point is, that if someone, in the process of creating a Video DVD, arrives at a VOB file, and this is not intended to go to the final Video DVD disk, there is something wrong with the process (or choice of tools).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sweetfreek
    I learned the hard way over an unrelated project that AviSynth treats the audio and video streams as seperate things, which when multiple clips are added together, have "total lengths" that lose synch with each other.
    Not necessarily. Have you not learned about AlignedSplice?
    AlignedSplice cuts off the first sound track or inserts silence as necessary to ensure that the second sound track remains synchronized with the video.
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/AlignedSplice
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you, manono!

I didn't know about AlignSplice, but that's exactly what I was looking for!
    Quote Quote