VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish this and would very much appreciate any help.

I am trying to add an audio track to an existing video file while keeping the original audio track as well. However, I want to insert the second audio track in a specific location of the video. The 2nd audio track is much smaller and is just some music I wish to add during the video.

I wish to do this for XViD at this time, but would also like instructions if possible for mkv's as well in the future.

I also want to make sure I am not reencoding the video and losing quality in the process.

Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks very much for anyone's time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would:

1. load up the current video file (with current audio) into an NLE
    2. load up the music audio file also
    3. align the music audio to where in the timeline you want it to start and adjust the relative balances between the main audio & music

Then, depending on whether you want to have 1 remaining audio stream (both main+music blended into one), or 2 (where they would be selectable), you would do either:

A. Mixdown the entire program length of both audio tracks to new audio file, and remux the video, replacing the audio.

or

B. Mixdown the entire program length of ONLY the music audio track to a new audio file (even though there might be HUGE sections where it is silent), and mux in the 2nd audio stream to the current video + audio.

This will retain as much of the current quality as is possible (depending on which way you go)...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I would:

1. load up the current video file (with current audio) into an NLE
    2. load up the music audio file also
    3. align the music audio to where in the timeline you want it to start and adjust the relative balances between the main audio & music

Then, depending on whether you want to have 1 remaining audio stream (both main+music blended into one), or 2 (where they would be selectable), you would do either:

A. Mixdown the entire program length of both audio tracks to new audio file, and remux the video, replacing the audio.

or

B. Mixdown the entire program length of ONLY the music audio track to a new audio file (even though there might be HUGE sections where it is silent), and mux in the 2nd audio stream to the current video + audio.

This will retain as much of the current quality as is possible (depending on which way you go)...

Scott
    Thanks a lot Scott. I appreciate your time! I will give it a go.
    Quote Quote