VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For months I've been searching for a good QT H264 converter.

I would love to achieve the quality of the Apple trailers website, but they probably use sources that most of us don’t have/use – something like D5 tapes.

Basically I’m looking for a professional software that enables to encode AVI/MOV (DV codec or uncomp.) files to 3 or 4 different profiles (different bitrates, image size , etc).

I’m using at the moment Sorenson Squeeze 4.5.7 – the best FLV On2 encoder for me – to transcode to MP4 (with h.264 codec) than opening the MP4 in QT Pro and converting to MOV by “Save as a self-contained movie” without making any compression, it simply changes something in the log of the file by renaming from .MP4 to .MOV.

The quality of the files is not bad.. but I know that is possible to get better results.. I just don’t know how.

I was using Apple Compressor for while – the results are a bit better that Sorenson Squeeze but takes too long to encode.

Any advice for a different method MUCH appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

I checked the solutions that you adviced one by one and none seems to be a good update from the solution that I'm using at the moment.

Basicly what I'm trying to find is a good software and workflow that enables to:

1) Input AVI / MOV
    2) Encodes/Transcodes Quicktime H.264
    3) Batch mode + different profiles (bitrates, video size, etc)
    4) Achieve good Quicktime H.264 output video files

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You want to make serious speed improvements, then upgrade your CPU. The old Athlon 1800XP is getting pretty long in the tooth. Quality takes time. If you have a quality solution that is too slow, put more grunt behind it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by totalfreedom
    Thanks for the help.

I checked the solutions that you adviced one by one and none seems to be a good update from the solution that I'm using at the moment.

Basicly what I'm trying to find is a good software and workflow that enables to:

1) Input AVI / MOV
    2) Encodes/Transcodes Quicktime H.264
    3) Batch mode + different profiles (bitrates, video size, etc)
    4) Achieve good Quicktime H.264 output video files

Thanks!
    every single program i suggested can convert to MP4/h264 that can be opened or streamed with quicktime player or latest flash player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger - we are right about the the CPU but my problem is quality and not speed.

ricardouk - thanks for the names of the softwares. I did test them and the quality of the mpg4 h.264 is lower than the one produced by Squeeze or Compressor

Does anyone know a solution/software that can improve my results apart from Apple Compressor or Sorenson Squeeze.

When I say improve my results = better video quality when encoding/trancoding to quicktime h.264.

So if anyone could give names of softwares that they used for encoding in this format and that have achieve great quality videos please share with us.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think you havent tested the tools properly....

megui and automkv are top quality h264 "encoders", it beats sorenson squeeze.

but if you stil think that they're not good you can try mpeg streamclip, instal quicktime alternative to get the codecs.

you must be be doing something wrong, have a look in the comments on each program and compare it to quicktime pro, just in case you dont belive me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Totalfreedom,

What do you want to use the videos for? Ipod? Streaming? Home network?

After long testing and retesting I have gotten the best results with TMPGEnc 4.0 Express. I have used:
    Nero - good
    Handbrake very good (only from dvd)
    QT Pro - OK
    Videora - ok not spectacular
    TMPGEnc 4.0 Express - Spactacular!

As I said after long testing. There are more options, filters, bells and whistles in TMPGEnc than most will want to fool around with. However, the quality is better for the bitrate than any other - after the pain of finding the right settings. Don't use the defaults.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Squeeze 5 includes 3 H.264 codecs. The main concept is by far the best one and better than Apple's.

Why do you need it in the MOV wrapper? QuickTime web Active X will play MP4 files.
    Take your skills to the next level @
    http://webvideotechniques.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does Squeeze 5 uses Main Concept Encoder?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Squeeze 5 offers Main concept, Sorenson AVC, and Apple AVC with MP4. Unfortunately, they still dont have MOV wrapper with any of them.

The main concept encoder is great, but it takes quite a while to encode multipass. On my P4 3.2Ghz it was reporting about 10 minutes per minute of video.
    Take your skills to the next level @
    http://webvideotechniques.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    H264 is better than FLV On2 compressor, QT pro can do h264 compression, but it is very slow. I think you can try total video converter, try profile h264 AVI, or AVC h264 mp4. At present, h264 is the most powerful alogrithm for video compression, and only h264 AVI uses the toppest level of compression.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't know, maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the destination/venue for this? iPod? Embeded in a Web page? Private distribution? (dvd/cd)
    ------------------------------------
    www.FilmSupplies.com
    www.TestShoot.com
    Quote Quote  
  15. hi

good thread

what's the advantage of Tmpgenc 4.0 Xpress over Sorensen Squeeze 5 MP4 please?

thanks

Ric
    ric
    Quote Quote