VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, Greetings for the new year. I have what will probably be a rather light weight question, but I was attempting to mirror the diplay of my PB 867 MHz screen as it played a dvd onto the screen of my Sony Bravia LCD set. I have been able to do this on my analog tv (with the appropriate intermediary converter) but when I tried to show the display of the screen showing the playing dvd onto the HD tv screen on one of the video signal screens (the tv has 7 or 8 of them), I got no indications that anything was being input on any video screen. I tried this both via the S video cable and the yellow RCA video cable , not simultaneously, but neither worked. I was under the impression that all I had to do (with this digital/HD tv) was to hook up the computer through the "plug" that outputs the display with one of the video cables and it would show the disply onto the tv screen, but my assumptions were proved false or at least so it seems to be the case. I then put a fire wire cable onto the computer and plugged it into a dac 100 converter in the hopes of using the DAC box as some sort of a pass through to the tv, this time transmitting the stream via firewire, which perhaps is a dv stream as it is being transmitted by the firewire cable. I plugged an S cable from the DAC-100 to the tv S video input, which along with other input places, like the RCA video audio input, exists on the left rear of the screen. On the video 2, I managed to change the screen to a pinkish color (an indiaction that something was being received) but nothing approximating the video playingon the PB screen. I was playing with the buttons on the DAC-100 at the time. At one point the screen changed to one of broad vertical rectangular bars in primary colors, still far from a video signal.
    In short, nothing doing. I am technically quite sophomoric and would appreciate much any insights into what I am not doing right, or what my computer perhaps or tv are not doing right. BTW, is there anyway t use the firewire in this case with the DAC-100 that might allow me to transmit not just the video, but also the audio. I'd be happy, though, just if I can get the display to be shown on the larger screen of the televison.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insights. Who else am I going to turn to--the guys at the tv shop or Best Buy. This is a PC world, and so I must turn to corner that will perhaps be more receptive to a stranger to that one. I hope though that my question is not too strange for you all.
    thx. and best wishes for this year; let's get through it together.
    T.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just guessing but I think your solution to getting a picture when connected via S-video is in the Displays control panel in System Preferences. There should be a separate panel for the TV connection. Play with those settings.

I also think the DAC 100 requires the video to be a DV stream in order to receive it by Firewire, so it won't recognize a DVD or any other video format playing on your Powerbook.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, the signal output to the DAC is an easy one:
    You have to use a program like FCP or iMovie HD that will
    allow a feature known as "Print to Tape". This will allow
    the signal to "print"(playback) to the unit ( should be a tape deck,
    but doesn't have to be. Just something that accepts firewire i/o,
    like a Canopus or a DAC) and if it has analog outs,
    then you can see what is on the PB on a tv.
    Fro is right in that it is sending stream data back to the box and out to the TV.

Second, as for mirroring the PB out via DVD Player to the TV,
    here is what I got for you:

1. Turn off or restart the PB.
    2. To Hook up your VCR or TV to your PB, use the Composite adapter to S Video cable that should be included with your PB. ( side note it looks like this.
    or this

Hookup a standard RCA video cable to it,
    and then hook that cable up into your vcr or tv or device that accepts RCA inputs.

3. The video should mirror, and the Displays panel, as Fro mentioned, will
    then show two dipslay panels, and you make sure on the one that shows
    up on your TV, that it is selected for NTSC device.

so in short, with that cable, you should be able to display mirroring of
    SVideo output to RCA input on to a TV or VCR that has composite(RCA) input,
    which then in turn displays video through Video1, Video2, or Channel 3 for input
    of external device.

so I also included a quick diagram to show how it should all look,
    this of course depends upon your setup being able to accept something like this:

The RCA Video cable could be purchased from Radio Shack or wherever cabling is sold.
    The Svideo to Comp RCA adapter, well if you don't have one of those,
    will be hard to find. Try ebay, megamacs, smalldog, powermax or shreve systems
    for this older apple part.

good luck.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Frobozz and terryj, Thank you so much. Both of your instuctions regarding the setting of the preferences in the display pannel of system preferences were on the mark. You helped me not to give up on this teeny little project, and I am grateful. I think I had not activated "detect displays" in the displays preferences as Frobozz intimated. And Terryj's hint about restarting the computer also helped. Thank you terryj for the detailed response. That was really good of you: thank you. Luckily the adapter that came with the PB has an output both for S video and the RCA cable, so it seems I can use either and there doesn't seem to be perceptible change between one sort of video cable or the other. The tv though seems to give privilege to the S video cable. When it gets plugged in, it stops reading from the RCA cable. At least that is what it seemed to do. You were of course both right about DAC. It receives dv output and dvd player does not output d.v. What can I say? Until my next silly question--maybe around my next vacation when time allows-- when like a blind-folded person I start groping with uninformed curisoity, I am indebted.

Thanks for saving from having to go to Best Buy...
    peace,
    t
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    u r welcome tab.
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  6. ==

terryj,

You seem like you know quite a bit about video and Mac's, so I'm hoping you can answer this truly novice question -- fogive me, I'm not savvy when it comes to video.

Q. Can I INPUT an external DVD player to my PowerBook laptop and use the laptop as just a display?

I know this seems strange to do, but sometimes my internal DVD player doesn't work well with DVD rentals, but works fine on external DVD player's.

Is it even possible to do?

Thanks in advance!

E-F

==
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that terryj knows much about video and Macs. I've learned a lot reading his posts.

I'm going to jump in and answer your question, which essentially is "no." You need an analog-to-digital device such as an EyeTV or a DV camcorder in order to play video from a DVD player for display on your PowerBook (or other Mac). But that only works when the DVDs are not copy protected, which isn't the case with your rental discs.

A better solution is to buy a Firewire DVD drive. It's nice having an external drive available because they are better quality and faster than the PowerBook Superdrive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz
    I agree that terryj knows much about video and Macs. I've learned a lot reading his posts.

you my extended family are as always welcome,
    and I am glad to help one and all.

Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  9. ==

Thank you so much for you answer! You've spared me a lot of unnecessary time in trying to figure out how to get the DVD player to work through my PowerBook

I shall go out and by me a Firewire DVD player...

Cheers!

E-F

==
    Quote Quote  
  10. ==

P.S.

You mentioned EyeTV, can I watch rental's through that device? Sounds interesting, especially if it works with Mac PowerBooks

Cheers!

E-F

==
    Quote Quote