VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi

i just got a new burner. It's a LG WH14NS40. I noticed on blurays that i burn with imgburn that it has a large round ring around the edge near the hole on the data surface. im using Verbatim BD-R DL Mitsubishi Kagaku Media imported from Japan. in the past this happened sometimes on my other burner that later bit the dust when using Verbatim bd-r dl and bd-r. I wanna know is this normal? Or is this a sign that this burnt disc is gonna go bad in time? I can take a picture of one of these discs with this problem and post it but i need to know first if its safe to do that and won't mess up the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A flash photo won't damage the disc, if that's what you're asking. There is normally about a 1/2" wide unburned ring around the center hole on all my burned BDs.
    If that's what you have, don't worry about it. It's normal. Burned DVDs don't have this, but BDs do.

I've only used single layer BDs so far, but I'm assuming DL ones are the same for the ring.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi redwudz

thanks for the speedy reply. so the rings are unburned data? just to be sure regarding what the ring you said you get too from burning bd's i have attached a picture. so far i have two discs that have this ring. but the picture shows the one with the bigger ring. i guess one reason its bigger is the fact that it's a copy of a double feature. let me know what you think or anyone else who wants to chime in.

P.S. the dark area on the bottom of the disc is just a shadow from my ipad.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	657
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	22498  

Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably not 'unburned data' but just a blank part of the disc, at least on my burned BDs which are usually 90% or more full. I suspect the inner part of the disc requires too much RPM for the burner/player so they start the data a bit further out. But that's just a guess on my part. This is a photo of one of my BD-R discs, about 95% full.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1680m.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	22535  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Steely Dan - Katy Lied LP - 1975
    This is a high fidelity recording. Steely Dan uses a specially constructed 24-channel tape recorder, a "State-of-the-Art" 36-input computerized mixdown console, and some very expensive German microphones. Individual microphone equalization is frowned upon. The sound created by musicians and singers is reproduced as faithfully as possible, and special care is taken to preserve the band-width and transient response of each performance. Transfer from master tapes to master lacquers is done on a Neumann VMS 70 computerized lathe equipped with a variable pitch, variable depth helium cooled cutting head. The computerized logic circuits of the VMS 70 widen and narrow the grooves on the disc in accordance with its own bizarre electronic mentation for reasons known only to its designers; this accounts for the lovely light and dark patterns that can be seen on the surface of the pressing. Vinylite compound is used. For best results observe the R.I.A.A. curve.
    Long story short.....
    Simply looking at an LP, cassette tape, Minidisc, CD, DVD or Blu Ray doesn't tell you sh!t.
    Quote Quote