VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All

Right, how do I get WMC to play the .vob files I ripped with DVDFab 5?

When I point it at the folder containing the VIDEO_TS files it says its empty!

I ripped the DVD then converted it to DivX, but I'm not happy with the quality so I want to play the vob's in WMC

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could extract the MPEG movie file from the VIDEO_TS folder with VOB2MPG. No re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And that will give me lossless playback?

I encoded to DivX but playback wasn't good on my 19" monitor at 1680x1050.

So what res does a 1080p run at? Sorry for stupid Q's

Its what being a newb is all about!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's lossless and fairly quick. It just extracts the existing MPEGs that are in the VOB containers to a single MPEG file. If you want the whole DVD without the extraction, you should be able to play the ripped VIDEO_TS folder by this method: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930526 But I prefer just the main movie.

And I probably should have moved this to our Media Center Forum, as there is more specific info there. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can use something like MyMovies and rip your DVDs as ISOs for full playback functionality. I do that for my HTPC at my cabin so I don't have to haul movies back and forth.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have now ripped the main movie to my HDD and done the MS support bit. Told WMC where the folder is but it won't find the files. All it shows is two clips already pre-installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dan Dare
    I have now ripped the main movie to my HDD and done the MS support bit. Told WMC where the folder is but it won't find the files. All it shows is two clips already pre-installed.
    Yh i had this problem - i sorted it by going into Windows Media Centre and the into the DVD library section then i right clicked on a bit of open space and clicked add movies. Then it took me to a similar place to add folder to library except it seemed to be only for dvd - so i added all my folders again, waited for it to search for media and then i was sorted .
    Hope this helps you!!
    Ben
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wha...it's like trying to take instruction from a ferret on steroids. wot dvd libry section? wot blan k space? aaaeeigh!
    Quote Quote  
  9. all you need is DVD Decoder for WMP, i guess...
    alternatively try this from RiPBot user comments.
    Quote Quote  
  10. err..yes. But where?

The other suggestion is a converter. I have a dozen of those. Also, once converted, how do you play them in sequence?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    err..yes. But where?

The other suggestion is a converter. I have a dozen of those. Also, once converted, how do you play them in sequence?
    Play what in order? You mean movies like Transporter 1, 2 and 3? Or TV Shows?

TV Shows as long as they are sXXeXX or another naming sequence metadata scrappers understand, it will put all files in order, either by DVD order or by original broadcast order which ever is on theTVDB.com They are usually one in the same however, like Voltron for instance or M.A.S.K the DVD order is the same as the broadcast (first run) order.
    Project Digital: Eliminate All Physical Media is finally underway!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I came across this thread while trying to resolve the same problem some 3 and a half years later
    I couldn't get VOB2MPG to work on Windows 10 (I didn't spend a great deal of time with it, but after installation and trying to run as admin as well as trying a few different compatibility options, I decided to move on rather than spend a great deal of time researching yet another hurdle

In my case, I've already copied my kids DVDs to my HTPC (which has been great - no more scratched and hard to replace DVDs).
    I've just recently wanted to clean things up and as such, just keep the main movie from these DVDs rather than the whole folder structure.
    To this end, I used pavtube bytecopy to merge each DVD's main movie to a single VOB file thinking that WMC would just pick these up like any other media file.

But, I had no luck getting WMC to "see" the resulting sing .vob files.

Note, I could get pavtube to create files of an alternative format with no loss, but it was taking over an hour per DVD, producing a larger file than the single .VOB file which was a further pest.
    I also tried handbrake - another excellent and highly recommended tool and this would certainly do the job and allows queueing any number of files to convert. This would be perfect if I could have figured out how to simply extract the video and main audio track I wanted, but I couldn't figure out how to do this and wasn't sure it was possible.

Finally, I came across the suggestion to use tsmuxer which was perfect for my needs. Using this tool, I can mux to ts format (or m2ts if desired) without loss as well as removing superfluous audio tracks.
    I didn't bother familiarising myself with the command line, as tsmuxer is so quick to work through each file; the learning curve involved probably would have taken longer than working through one by one.

anyways, hope that helps any others with similar conundrums

cheers
    Matt
    Quote Quote