VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read a number of other posts on the board and find everyone to be helpful, but I haven't been able to figure this one out.

I am trying to use a VOB file in WMM. I downloaded VOB2MPG and ran it on the file. HOwever, now the file doesn't play with any sound (in WMM or WMP). I tried just copying the file and renaming the extension but had the same issue. When I click on the DVD in Windows Explorer the video plays and I hear the audio. There is no Audio_ts folder on the dvd. Just the following.

VIDEO_TS FOLDER
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01.0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB

VIDEO_RM FOLDER
    VIDEO_RM.BUP
    VIDEO_RM.DAT
    VIDEO_RM.IFO

Any help is appreciated. I am trying to get this completed to edit the video into clips for work and this is killing my weekend!

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Doug
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get GSpot and run it on the vob. Try to "render" it with GSpot. If there is a problem with the audio, GSpot will tell you what codec is missing. The vob of a properly ripped dvd is video and audio muxed (interleaved), the audio-ts file on the dvd is just there to make some hardware players happy.

DVD's are mp2 video, but the audio can vary.

What is it that you want to do with the clip?

The RM files are for older Phillips dvd players. If the dat file is about the same size as the vob, then renaming the dat as .mpg should yield a usable movie file. VCD's used compressed dat files of mpgs to fit more on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for the fast response. I got gspot and opened the file. It didn't show any codec issues. does this mean I "rendered" the file? if not, I can't find anything that says render. What is my next step?

I am trying to take the video and "remove" some clips. That is I want 7 of the 20 scenes all reordered in one video file.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot will tell you if you have the codecs needed for playback, but that doesn't mean WMM can understand AC3 audio, for example, or whatever your audio is. That may be your problem. What audio format does Gspot say you have?

If you add the AC3 ACM Decompressor you may be able to open them. At least you could open the file in VirtualDub and save out the AC3 as a WAV file and use that with WMM. I assume it will accept WAV files.

To 'render' in Gspot, use the number buttons to the bottom left. That will tell you the path and filters used for playback.

That file you have appears to be from a DVD recorder. The audio in a VIDEO_TS folder is muxed into the VOBS. The AUDIO_TS folder is for digital audio and not used much for video purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the quick reply and your guidance.

After a little more searching, I realized I also had ROxio on my PC. I tried using this and it seems to have resolved the problem. I was able to transfer the VOB to MPG and keep the audio. It seems like the quality may have degraded some, but that is acceptable to me for this time.

THanks again.
    Quote Quote