VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Since Disney hasn't released Song of the South and I doubt they would anytime soon due to sensitive nature, they don't want to offend many descendant of slaves.

Anyway I am deaf and I depend on caption or subtitle. After hunting around, I found legit subtitle file, not the fake one people upload to inflate their rating but it seems a bit off relative to the VHS rip. It starts out at maybe 6 seconds late (the word mama that I can match with lip reading is 6 seconds late) and ends up very fast. It almost appears that subtitle file were made for 25fps version from PAL tapes and not 29.97 from NTSC version. However looking at the SRT file, it uses time.

example of subtitle snippet:
    00:02:46,227 --> 00:02:47,091
    Johnny: Mama?

00:02:47,283 --> 00:02:48,755
    Sally: Yes Johnny?

00:02:48,915 --> 00:02:50,963
    Johnny: Why are we going to Grandma's?
    Any idea how that can be fixed? There were a few other subtitles and they all had similar timing issues. Video players like VLC and MPC all can do timing but it appears to be fixed time and not variable like 15% faster or slower.

PS if Disney is worried about racist nature of the film is the sole reason, they should consider how people can make a big stink over how Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, and many of Sith frequently wore black clothing while most of the good people wore mostly white clothing like a hidden racist attack suggesting dark skinned people are all evil.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Wilykit View Post
    It almost appears that subtitle file were made for 25fps version from PAL tapes and not 29.97 from NTSC version.
    Then the subs probably were made from a PAL source. A number of Song Of The South's available sources are PAL.

And the NTSC sources are 23.976fps, not 29.97fps. That is, to match them up you slow down (not speed up) the 25fps subs to match your 23.976fps source. That might be followed by an offset to fix any remaining delay. Or, you line up the first sub with its audio and the last sub with its audio and change the timings for all the rest that way. You'll need someone that hears to help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Wilykit View Post

PS if Disney is worried about racist nature of the film is the sole reason, they should consider how people can make a big stink over how Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, and many of Sith frequently wore black clothing while most of the good people wore mostly white clothing like a hidden racist attack suggesting dark skinned people are all evil.

What?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Load the subtitle in subtitle edit and choose synchronization/change framerate and select change from frame rate 25 to frame rate 23.976 and save.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote