VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    i'm looking for a video format that can't be played by the common video players out there like vlc or the codec packs, a video format that needs a certain video player to get it to work, thank you in advance for any help or suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    How about SheerVideo?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think the word you're looking for is "proprietary". Normally the creators who need exclusivity create their own codec (as well as player).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 16th Mar 2015 at 21:09.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    How about SheerVideo?
    i have tried sheervideo but i couldn't figure out how it works, i downloaded the zip file, installed quicktime and sheervideo it self but i couldn't find out how to start the software..is there any other alternatives.
    thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
  5. help anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SheerVideo doesn't fulfill your requirements: It is a standard decoder or encoder/decoder component (aka plugin) for Quicktime. Anybody can download the free decoders to add them to the arsenal of types that Quicktime player (through QT v7) can play. So, it really is the exact OPPOSITE of what you want (since both the decoder and the player are free and freely available). Unless you consider QT to not be common.

I already gave you the (tough) answer: to do it right, you have to create your own, or contract with a programmer/team to create one for you.
    Or, go the big boy corporate route, and pay $$$ to license using an encrypted stream to play only in Silverlight players that subscribe to you ($$).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. hello Cornucopia, thank you for the sightful input...i dont really have the budget to invest into creating my own encoder, im running a free project, some video tutorials on my websites that are free to download im only asking the visitors to subcribe to my email list in order to download the video player to play the special video format, i hope im making my point clear..my audiance aren't very tech savy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know if this would work, but there are ways to compile a vid+player app (similar to vlc) into a single executable app. So what the clients would be downloading would be the .EXE of each custom VID+player. Yes, that duplicates players A LOT, but compared to the size of the vid, it is miniscule anyway.
    Can't remember the name of it right now, but it was available once upon a time (and I think I mentioned it in an old post).

That's about as close as I would suggest for your predicament, and it still doesn't fully stop a client from copying/giving the file to someone else.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by renamon View Post
    hello Cornucopia, thank you for the sightful input...i dont really have the budget to invest into creating my own encoder, im running a free project, some video tutorials on my websites that are free to download im only asking the visitors to subcribe to my email list in order to download the video player to play the special video format, i hope im making my point clear..my audiance aren't very tech savy
    Encrypt a standard video and send a password to those who subscribed.

Problem solved!

I recommend 7Zip, good quality and open software.
    http://www.medicalnerds.com/how-to-encrypt-zip-files-securely-using-7zip/
    Last edited by newpball; 24th Apr 2015 at 10:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No the problem is NOT solved. Once the encrypted file's password is applied, it is decrypted (so it can be played), and a decrypted stream is now just as easily copyable as if it never were encrypted. Hence the age-old adage, "if it can be played, it can be copied".

Problem unsolved!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    The OP just wants to get people to signup to an email list, in that case password protection should be more than sufficient, he does not need DOD level security!
    Quote Quote