VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently took a punt on a Toshiba SD4010 on the hope that region hacks for other models would work... they did not. I'm going to start by asking the inevitably vain question of 'any ideas where I go from here'? I suspect the answer is ebay!

However, I'm also interested in how one goes about obtaining hacks? For lack of any better ideas, I'm assuming that they are either leaked from the manufacturer or included in maintenance manuals (where they exist at all).

Thoughts?

Stuart
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, you learned a valuable lesson. Many players cannot be unlocked. Hollywood has put a lot of pressure on the major manufacturers to stop this practice and many have caved in. In fact the BluRay licensing agreement specifically forbids making a region free player even for DVD playback only. This situation is just likely to get worse. Just so you know, Sony and Samsung make the most difficult to unlock players in the world. Philips and Pioneer still have a few models that can be unlocked. Very very few BluRay players can be unlocked even for only DVD playback so be very careful if ever looking for a region free BluRay player.

I can't prove it, but in some cases I am convinced that the manufacturer has deliberately released the unlock information. Say, an employee with access to the info is encouraged to post about it on sites like this.
    Quote Quote