VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Where can I purchase Verbatim DVD+R DL Lightscribe discs?

I normally purchase them at either NewEgg or Fry's but both list them as being discontinued. And Amazon is only listing two from private sellers at absurd prices (~$40 for a 10 pack). Has Verbatim stopped making Dual Layer Lightscribe discs? If so can anyone suggest an alternative?

I have a video project coming up and I will need to burn several DVDs.

In the past I have used Verbatim DVD+R DL Lightscribe discs with very good results.
    Quote Quote  
  2. They were getting a bit hard to find when I switched to white inkjet printables almost two years ago. I just did a search and some sites say out of stock, others say discontinued. Whether that means Verbatim discontinued production, I dunno, but that's my guess. It was never a big volume item.

Nevertheless, here's a listing for a bit cheaper than what you found:

http://www.sears.com/verbatim-dvd-r-lightscribe-dual-layer-8.5gb-8x-10-pk/p-SPM3904353901P

The link appears to be active and I was able to add it to the cart.

Of course, the branded surface Verbatim dual-layer discs are still readily available, as are printables. You might think about getting a printer that can handle optical discs. I have an Epson Artisan 725 that does a nice job on white inkjet hub printables and was a little over $100 bucks, just one possibility.

As to other brands that offer lightscribe +R_DL, there aren't many. There's Titan and Philips, both are the godawful CMC MAG, lots of coasters when I tried them. Never tried the Ritek DLs. I think TDK still offer them, dunno how reliable they are. Besides, it's the general consensus here that only Verbatim DLs are worth considering, so that seems to put you in a bind.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 11th May 2012 at 02:58.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Rima.com and supermediastore.com have sold them in the past. You might check as I'm too lazy to do your work for you.

I used to be a big proponent of Lightscribe, but you are really wasting your time with it. Back maybe 4 years ago it really was a much cheaper alternative to printing directly to discs as the printers that could print to discs were selling for $300. Now the printers are about $100 or less. You get much better results from printing straight to good quality discs like Taiyo Yuden's Watershield line. You need to understand that despite claims to the contrary by the manufacturers that burning Lightscribe images WILL DEFINITELY shorten the life of your burner. Consider that you have to spend about 20 minutes burning to get the best quality monochrome image. I can print in FULL COLOR on my Canon printer. Know how long it takes to finish a disc? About 30 seconds. And I promise you that mine will look much better than yours. What will happen to your burner eventually is that it will become unable to correctly burn the data on DL media. This ALWAYS happens. Then you'll lose the ability to write data to either CDs or single layer DVDs while the Lightscribe part of it still works. And while I do have some Lightscribe burns that honestly did look good and still do, I've got others that despite being stored away from directly sunlight and in a temperature controlled environment are already fading away into nothingness. I suspect that eventually all my burns may fade away. And I only used Verbatim discs. Even the good burns were never really dark enough and the one time I tried to burn something twice (damn, that is just ridiculous - cannot believe I did that) to make it dark enough, it started a really good drive on a quick downward path of failure.

Really, you would do yourself and your customers a big favor to just give up on Lightscribe, buy a printer that can print to discs, and use Taiyo Yuden Watershield for single layer burning and Verbatim's ink jet printable DL media for DL needs you have. I know you don't want to hear it, but eventually you will give up and come around and realize I was right. I used to defend Lightscribe around here against all comers and I eventually gave in. Printing to discs is so much nicer that I won't ever go back to Lightscribe.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could not agree more with jman98. I also printed LS discs, but later got a Canon printer and the same TY and Verbatim discs jman mentions and like he I'm not going back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Jrman and vmkast, i remember being all excited about light scribe and after spending 20 minutes burning my first disk. I went out and purchased an Epson CD printer a 280 model i believe, price at the time $199, (printing cds is the only thing i use it for I already had a photo printer an a laser printer) so my ink tends to last longer than most people. Even at $199 i thought it was well worth the price, just in the amount of time it save.
    Why tie up a burner for 20mins when i could still be burning DVDs? As the adage says time is money.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi fritzi93,

Thanks.

I never thought to check Sears for anything other than wrenches and socks. I went to the link you posted and while the price is acceptable (sort of) the shipping is not - $20.95 is the cheapest available (ridiculous).

I have thought of getting another printer to print to CDs\DVDs but have favored the artistic aesthetics of a properly burned LightScribe disc - it gives the quasi-appearance of etched metal. Right now I am seeing if I can scale/pare down the video/pictures to fit on a DVD+R as Verbatim DVD+R LightScribe is readily available.

To jman98,

The assumption you made "you would do yourself and your customers a big favor" is that this is a commercial project is erroneous (I am not being paid). It is for small local athletic group that I am member. I preferred LightScribe for aesthetic reasons, and not economic ones as disc printing is now far less expensive per disc than LightScribe, if one is producing ~50 or more discs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It seems availability of lightscribe DVD+R DL is even worse than I remember. All I could find was this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-Double-Layer-LightScribe-Duplicator/dp/B00519AJ92

Pretty pricey at almost $200 bucks, or $2/each. You gonna need that many?

Anyway, I much prefer white inkjet hub printables and never liked lightscribe much. Most I can say is that it looked better than labeling the disc with a sharpie.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pc78 View Post
    To jman98,

The assumption you made "you would do yourself and your customers a big favor" is that this is a commercial project is erroneous (I am not being paid). It is for small local athletic group that I am member. I preferred LightScribe for aesthetic reasons, and not economic ones as disc printing is now far less expensive per disc than LightScribe, if one is producing ~50 or more discs.

Irrelevant about my assumption.

Your mind is closed. You've been shown a better way. I really do not care as I'm not the guy who years from now is going to be bitched at when those labels fade. I also told you where to get the discs even though I don't advise it. You've got the info you need.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi fritzi93,

Thanks for the link. No, I don’t need that many (lol), just about 25 as we are a smaller club.

I completed a similar project for the club about a year ago. I obtained good results and received positive feedback with the LightScribe discs and the associated artwork. I thought it would be simple to just repeat the process using updated videos from training and the competitions.

As I am on a bit of a time limit, I have decided to just pare down the video and use the single layer discs as that is what is readily available. For next time, I will try something different.

> Good luck.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To jman98,

>Irrelevant about my assumption.

Actually, it is even more relevant considering your latest post to me.

>Your mind is closed.

Yet another erroneous assumption.

>You've been shown a better way.

No way is way.

>I really do not care

Then why are you replying to me?

>as I'm not the guy who years from now is going to be bitched at when those labels fade.

“You might check” the psychiatric term Projection “as I'm too lazy to do your work for you.”

>I also told you where to get the discs

Considering both places that you listed do not carry the discs in question, your recommendations were consistent with the rest of your post – utterly useless and quite insulting.

>You've got the info you need.

Yes, I did. Just not from you.

Further communication with you is neither warranted nor is it desired.
    Last edited by pc78; 12th May 2012 at 03:11. Reason: Correcting Formating of my post.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The link you gave is for US only. Do you know where I can get them from in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or whats the cheapest disc printer I can buy.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    m3w,
    don't try to find Verbatim DVD+R DL Lightscribe discs. The Verb 43684 googling only gave 'no products available' in W.Europe.
    You might want to start a new thread for the disc printer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    m3w,
    don't try to find Verbatim DVD+R DL Lightscribe discs. The Verb 43684 googling only gave 'no products available' in W.Europe.
    You might want to start a new thread for the disc printer.
    Hi
    I know that the discs are not made by verbatim. As I asked them:

Dear M3W

Thank you for your enquiry. I can confirm the Double Layer Lightscribe product is indeed EOL.

The alternative options are listed below. Our manufacturer part code is highlighted in Yellow.
    Staples are a stockist along with a number of e-tail resellers

DVD+R LIGHTSCRIBE
    DVD+R, 16x, Branded, LightScribe (Media Version 1.2) Jewel Case 5pk Retail 4.7GB 43575 AZO
    DVD+R, 16x, Branded, LightScribe Colours (Media Version 1.2) Slim J/C 5pk Retail 4.7GB 43658 AZO
    DVD+R, 16x, Branded, LightScribe (Media Version 1.2) Spindle 10pk Spindle 4.7GB 43576 AZO
    DVD+R, 16x, Branded, LightScribe (Media Version 1.2) Spindle 25pk Spindle 4.7GB 43676 AZO

Sorry we no longer supply the DL version.

Thank you for using Verbatim

Kind regards,

Tim Stevenson
    National Account Manager UK

Verbatim Ltd
    Prestige House
    23-26 High Street
    Egham
    Surrey, TW20 9DU
    United Kingdom

T:+44 (0)1784 439 781
    F:+44 (0)1784 470 760
    M:+44 (0)7795 146 412
    E: tim.stevenson@freecom.com (Skype)
    W: www.verbatim.com
    W: www.freecom.com

Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Group
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to know where in UK I can purchase Dual Layer Lightscribe DVDs they dont have to be Verbatim any brand will do. Amazon only posts to US so I cannot get them from there or Ebay.
    Quote Quote