VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently got a Sony BDP-BX37 blu-ray player, with a usb slot for flash drives. I have tried playing mp4 and mkv files on it, and the problem is it puts black bars on both sides of 16:9 content (making it 4:3). It isn't stretched or anything, it just cuts the sides off.

I've tried files that were originally mp4, and also converted avi/dvd files to mp4 (using AVS video converter), but all of them have this same problem. The files all work fine (16:9) on my computer. Does anyone know what is causing this issue or how to fix it? Thanks.

I should also mention the same thing occurs if I burn the mp4 files onto a DVD, although actual DVDs/Blu-Rays work correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few BRs that I have converted over to MKV with MakeMKV have that happen. Don't know why but if I go into the header editor of MKVtoolNix it shows the display as 1440 instead of 1920. I just change the display to 1920 and than it displays just fine.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like your software is displaying correctly, so either the video is anamorphic and the tag is not set properly or the resolution of the files is odd and the bluray is incorrectly thinking that it's supposed to be 4:3.
    Quote Quote