VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all, nice to meet you!

video produced from my Nikon D5100 is mov with LPCM audio, which is useless for any media player I tried, including WDTV: video plays fine but the audio band does not. I naturally want to convert these videos in a lossless manner. The path I discovered is the following:
    1. use a program like TAudioConverter to extract the audio and convert it to a separate mp3 file.
    2. use mkvmergeGUI to create an MKV merging the video band from the .mov and the mp3 file.

Usually works just fine, and quality is retained 100%! However, I tried a larger .mov yesterday (around 1,5GB) and mkvmergGUI failed with "return code 3". I don't know whether it is because of the larger size, or something else. In any case, my question is the following: do you know of any alternative to mkvmergeGUI for this kind of job? Basically, creating mkv from various parts without re-encoding.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try ffmpeg or gui for it like xmedia recode. You load the mov. Select format mkv. Under video choose copy stream. Under audio mp3 or aac.

Or from command line
    ffmpeg -i video.mov -vcodec copy -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k video.mkv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    several encoders have "pass through" where either the video or audio is left unchanged while re-encoding the other. you could try avvidemux, mediacoder, xmediarecode and others i can't recall at the moment.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for your suggestions!

I tried the ffmpeg command line and it worked like a charm.
    Quote Quote