VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings to all.
    I am trying to do a custom rip of DVD9 to DVD5. I've riped the source to a directory and am using Avisynth and DGIndex to frame-serve the source without converting into Cinema Craft Encoder SP. All works well except for one thing. The duration of the movie upon encoding is totally wrong and a lot of frames are cut

the source is 220292 frames at 29.97 fps
    the encoded version is only 100211 frames at 29.97 fps

my script is as following

LoadPlugin("D:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("vampire_full.d2v")

I even tried to use HCEnc version 023, but have received the same results.

Any help is appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder is your friend.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Open the script in VDub(Mod) and go File->File Information. Is the length half of what it's supposed to be? And when scrolling through it, is lots missing? What framecount does it give? What framerate?

Did you load all the VOBs into DGIndex, and the VOBs for the movie and only the movie? The audio demuxed from the VOBs, when played is it also half the length of the movie? If the audio is less than half the length of the movie, then you didn't load all the VOBs for the movie.

Did you use Force Film in DGIndex, thus making a 23.976fps D2V file? If it's an NTSC movie, then almost certainly it's supposed to be 23.976fps, either from using Forced Film in DGIndex if possible, or through an IVTC in the script.

Where are you getting these frame counts?

And as lordsmurf says, if you don't know what you're doing you can let DVD-Rebuilder do it until you learn how to encode a movie using CCE.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VDub 1.9.6 - frame count and length are ok
    I've loaded only the main movie VOBs in the DGIndex
    The audio is demuxed and not part of my Avisynth script. the full script is shown above. It is proper length in a player. The AVS script is also proper length in the player. The information shown by CCE SP/HCEnc when I load the AVS script into it show proper information.
    ForceFilm - no idea - I've kept default settings
    The original is 720/480 29.97 at least the BSPlayer shows it as such

The frame counts I am getting from AVISYNTH Info()

I am confident CCE user with plenty encoding sessions under the belt. Rebuilder option is not what I want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. VDub shows the correct frame count and length. The audio shows the correct length. CCE and HCEnc both show it to have the correct framecount. Players show the script to be the correct length. Only Info() show the framecount and length incorrectly. Is that right?

I have no idea (yet) why Info() shows the wrong information. It should be agreeing with the information provided by the other apps.
    The duration of the movie upon encoding is totally wrong and a lot of frames are cut
    Are you saying you encoded it and it came out jumpy/jerky playing and short in length? How did you get the length of the encoded MPV? Just by playing it in a player? All players with which I'm familiar will show the length incorrectly. Open the encoded MPV in GSpot to get the correct length of the encoded video.
    ForceFilm - no idea - I've kept default settings
    Go into DGIndex and check the Video->Field Operation->? setting. Is it Honor Pulldown Flags, Ignore Pulldown Flags, or is it Forced Film? What I'm wondering is if you got a 23.976fps D2V and then encoded it at 29.97fps. Or maybe used Ignore Pulldown Flags , something you should probably never do with NTSC DVDs. What's the framerate as reported in the D2V? It would be in this section at the top:
    Stream_Type=1
    MPEG_Type=2
    iDCT_Algorithm=6
    YUVRGB_Scale=1
    Luminance_Filter=0,0
    Clipping=0,0,0,0
    Aspect_Ratio=16:9
    Picture_Size=720x480
    Field_Operation=1
    Frame_Rate=23976 (24000/1001)
    Location=0,0,0,51ea
    The original is 720/480 29.97 at least the BSPlayer shows it as such
    You haven't worked with NTSC films on DVD before?
    I am confident CCE user with plenty encoding sessions under the belt. Rebuilder option is not what I want.
    Well, if you had used DVD-Rebuilder you wouldn't have the problem you're reporting here. A small 10 second sample of the source demuxed using DGIndex and then uploaded to MediaFire or a similar file sharing site might be useful to learn what you have and how it should be treated. Try and make it a piece that shows steady movement. Mark it off with the [ and ] buttons and then File->Save Project and Demux Video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono, thank you. I think I've figured it out. The movie player displays incorrect duration.
    GSpot displays 220,292 frames. So they are all there.
    I was not aware of the issue with players having this problem.

Thank you for your help. I was worried that the clip was in fact corrupted.

Do I understand correctly that incorrect duration display will not be an issue in authoring program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know what I'm doing, but DVD Rebuilder automates the process.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by asdfen
    I was worried that the clip was in fact corrupted.
    I was wondering the same because some of the information you provided pointed in that direction. Most did not, though.
    Originally Posted by asdfen
    Do I understand correctly that incorrect duration display will not be an issue in authoring program?
    That's correct, no authoring program with which I'm familiar will have any problems with the length. But I haven't used all that many, so who knows what some might show? I'm glad you got it sorted out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the clip did not work correctly in authoring program. I am stomped
    Quote Quote  
  10. Open the MPV and audio in Muxman and see if it accepts it and then muxes it. If it accepts it but doesn't mux it, check the muxman log (in the root of the c drive) for more information why not. If there's something wrong and it's not compliant, it won't be because of the length.

You could cut a small piece and upload it somewhere for us to have a look. 10 seconds will be plenty.
    Quote Quote