VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am using handbrake to convert some old video clips (that were long ago simply transferred by scart to a DVD recorder, and now the DVD has been copied to my hard drive) . Using Handbrake they convert easily enough.

The problem is: When I play the original DVD Vob files in MS Media Player - and ensuring that the clips are displayed at 100% size (Alt + 2) - they are fine.

But after converting them in Handbrake, when playing the MP4 files in MS Media Player, the clips are displayed much larger on screen - from about 25% for the oldest video recordings to near 100% for some recent DVD clips that are Anamorphic in origin.

I want to maintain a constent size for quality. I've kept the aspect ratio, tried all the Anamorphic options, but without sucess.

Any clues anyone? I would be very grateful for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you tried played with something else also? Like VLC. To be sure that is not something wrong with media player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would check your basic settings in Handbrake and tune them a tad to suit your requirements. As suggested try another media player even Windows Media Player!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hey i was having the same problem the other day since i moved from AutoGK to hand break to do my conversions. I was doing the movie dogma and the picture kept coming out really squashed.

Under the picture setting when i have anamorphic set to strict which should be a direct copy of the movie and the cropping set to automatic the picture is much to squished in as just under display size it is saying 1339x428 as the resolution when the source is 720 x 576 and when you check the preview statistics in VLC player under tools it says 720x432

If i turn anamorphic to non and tick keep aspect ration with automatic cropping the resolution changes to 720 x 224 which is even smaller although it looks a little squished it still looks semi accurate but i can not understand why i cant get it to look exactly the same as the dvd. So what i ended up doing was taking the x428 from the it when it was set to strict anamorphic and gradually decreased the value to i got something i thought was an accurate representation. I don't know if im doing it the wrong way or what but it seemed to of kinda worked.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for your replies.
    Yes, I have tried VLC and other MS players - but all do the same thing...
    Adjusted all the settings etc..

Can you recomend any other packages? I don't mind if they are paid for (i.e. not free or shareware)...

All I am doing is converting my old VHS TV recordings that were copied to DVD to some sort of suitable PC format, like MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Try Ripbot264 or Megui posibly
    Quote Quote