VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Closed-Captioned DVDs will play as expected on my Philips DVP5140 Player, complete with captions.

But when some (but not all) of those same DVDs are played on my LG BD610 Player, the player will not recognize CC as being on the disk at all.

What might be the problem ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Closed captions are not mentioned at all in the manual for your BR player. It's likely they're not supported.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I wasn't plain enough. Many times the LG Player will recognize and provide the CC text. Just some DVDs that provide CC on the Philips Player will not do so on the LP Player.

You're reference to a "BR player" confuses me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You do not mention how you have them hooked up (composite, hdmi, etc) which can be important (as hdmi does NOT support CCs at all), nor the model of TV.
    And you could be referring to CCs when you might be describing standard dvd/bd subtitles - it's hard to tell.

Need more info...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG BD610 is among the last Blu-ray players to include a composite video connection. Are you using the LG BD610's composite connection when you are able to play a DVD and see closed captions? If so perhaps the TV is decoding closed captions.

HDMI being digital cannot send an analog closed caption signal for a TV to decode. When HDMI is used, the player itself must include the ability to decode and display closed captions in order for you to see them, but the LG BD610 is not designed to do that.

You need a different player. There are a few Blu-ray players that do display closed captions for DVDs and Blu-ray discs. For what it is worth, not all DVD players have the ability to decode and display closed captions themselves, or to supply them via composite video or S-video for a TV to decode and display.

[Edit]Closed caption support on DVD, Blu-ray, and their associated players is not a legal requirement as it is with television, TV sets and TV tuners.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2016 at 18:44. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My TV is a Samsung LN46B550. I believe I'm using the composite connection though I now don't remember why, nor where I can check that.

On both my players I click on CC button and then select English - if it's on the menu.

I thought my LG Player was newer than my Philips Player and therefore more likely to support CC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wolf01 View Post
    My TV is a Samsung LN46B550. I believe I'm using the composite connection though I now don't remember why, nor where I can check that.

On both my players I click on CC button and then select English - if it's on the menu.

I thought my LG Player was newer than my Philips Player and therefore more likely to support CC.
    The LG BD610's remote doesn't have a CC button, but it does have a subtitle button. I download the manual and looked at the diagram. What remote were you using?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, button on LG remote is called "subtitle"

Button on Samsung TV remote is called "CC"

I always try both when looking for captioning
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, button on LG remote is called "subtitle"

Button on Samsung TV remote is called "CC"

I always try both when looking for captioning
    Closed captions and selectable subtitles are two different means for providing text-based dialog that can be turned on or off as needed.

Your Philips DVP5140 does't have an HDMI connection. It has only analog connections available (composite, S-Video, and component). It can both display subtitles and provide closed captions for the TV to display when it is connected to the TV using composite video or S-video. As long as your DVD has English subtitles, or closed captions, or both, you can view the English dialog as text.

However many DVDs produced for the USA have closed captions but not selectable English subtitles. If that is the case, it looks like you can't view the English dialog as text with your LG BD610. Apparently the LG BD610 can display subtitles but is unable to display closed captions, and can't provide closed captions to the TV for decoding with the connection on the TV that you used for the LG player.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jun 2016 at 12:09. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there some indication on a given DVD (on the box or wherever) that would tell me whether or not it has CC or subtitles embedded ?

My LG Player does provide text from some DVDs when I click on "subtitle" and select "English"

Obviously I'm not adept at this subject
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took a look at my DVD and Blu-ray movie collection. I have only a small collection, maybe a dozen movies. Most of the discs list the available subtitles somewhere on the back side of the case or cardboard sleeve. If closed captions are available, the closed caption symbol or "Captions" appeared.

Two of the movies have no information about captions or subtitles anywhere on the case or sleeve. I had to play the movies to find out what they had available. One was a foreign film which has closed captions for the dubbed English soundtrack and English subtitles for a translation of the dialog from the original language's audio track. The other was a TV documentary produced by my local PBS station which has English closed captions and Spanish subtitles.

I rent most of the movies I watch on DVD or Blu-ray from Redbox. Available subtitles are given on the movie's page in their catalog, but that cannot really be used as a guide for what you would find on the retail version of the movie. Rental editions are often missing extra features, subtitles, or closed captions which the retail version of the movie has.

Amazon often provides information about the available subtitles for the DVDs they sell.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jun 2016 at 13:22. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by wolf01 View Post

You're reference to a "BR player" confuses me.
    But when some (but not all) of those same DVDs are played on my LG BD610 Player, the player will not recognize CC as being on the disk at all.

LG BD610 is a Blu Ray Player.

But I'm a little late. You've moved beyond this.
    Quote Quote