VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know of upcoming PCI-E capture cards that will be good? I'm trying to build a computer and have the dilemma of getting an older Hauppage PCI PVR 250 card or waiting for something more current that uses PCI-E instead. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are six of them listed in 'Capture Cards' to the left. Check the major manufacturers sites for upcoming cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be safe get a board that has both the PCI-E and an AGP....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm waiting for a PCI-E capture card with full h.264 and/or VC-1 encoding at HD resolutions.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just get ATI All-In-Wonder cards and they are great. A recent one was the x1900. The x1800 seems a bit better, but they are both good if you know what you are doing. If you don't, they are fun to play with and find out. Just make sure you have room in your case. They are a bit long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Opt for the cheapest card for current needs. Full encoding cards are a few months to beta.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would you recommend getting an external device, like the USB Hauppage PVR 250?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jwfc,
    I have the usb pvr 250 and am more than satisfied with its performance and quality of output.

I am waiting for a newer version to come along, so that I can get it.

Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwfc
    Would you recommend getting an external device, like the USB Hauppage PVR 250?
    An external device could cover your immediate SD needs. The USB2 PVR is well supported.

HD to MPeg2_ts tuners are here now but HD to H.264 or VC-1 compression in hardware is what you will want in the end.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses guys! Quick question, for the USB2-PVR, is there any type of driver/installation issues I need to be aware of? I read some ppl installing the PVR drivers in a certain order to get it to work with Windows XP and stuff and I was wondering if there were similar issues for the external USB2-PVR. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    To be safe get a board that has both the PCI-E and an AGP....
    Are you joking?
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwfc
    Thanks for the responses guys! Quick question, for the USB2-PVR, is there any type of driver/installation issues I need to be aware of? I read some ppl installing the PVR drivers in a certain order to get it to work with Windows XP and stuff and I was wondering if there were similar issues for the external USB2-PVR. Thanks!
    With my ADS PYRO AV/Link, they list a specific order for installing the software and drivers. Following this order on both of my PC's, everything worked with no problems. I can use the AV/Link on either PC and get the same trouble free results. Not sure how much trouble you would have if you goofed and didn't do everything in sequence, but I prefer not to mess around and find out. Just follow directions for whatever device you decide to purchase.
    Rob
    Quote Quote