VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I need an alternative blu-ray compliant h264 encoder apart from the wretched MainConcept that is the core of Adobe Media Encoder, some of whose output files, paradoxically, Encore does NOT accept as compliant despite me choosing the requisite blu-ray template. I've tried x264, but it seems most stable only on the command line, which requires AVS, and whose scripting I'm not proficient in. So I need a comprehensive GUI that will accept *.AVI files plain and simple (actual stand-alone or signpost like those DebugMode creates), and feed it to x264, which will create valid blu-ray compliant elementary streams *.264 or *.m4v with them. Is there such? MeGUI and handbrake are geared to creating files for iToys and the like; I'm trying to alter the custom settings in them without success. multiAVCHD likes to create a final blu-ray, which is fine, except that what I want are blu-ray compliant elementary video files which it may or may not do, NOT a final blu-ray disk, folder, or image. Most everyone here seems intent on creating files to be viewed on iTurds and all that, which is fine, but HD on a 5" or less screen kind of defeats its purpose, no? My idea of HD, at least with material I shot on my XA10, is to put it on BD-R and watch it on a 100" screen. Many moons ago, Cinema Craft Encoder basic was a very high quality and cost-effective MPEG-2 encoder with a Premiere plug-in for DVD, but they want to charge an arm, a leg, and two armpit hairs now for the same privilege with blu-ray. The current versions of TMPGEnc are, mysteriously and gratingly, emphasizing the use of MPEG-2 for blu-ray, and offers its GUI for MPEG-4, again only for iBollocks devices. Why is that?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    I've tried x264, but it seems most stable only on the command line, which requires AVS, and whose scripting I'm not proficient in.
    Doesn't require AVS. The ones from x264.nl are compiled with ffms2 support, so you can input video directly without avisynth

So I need a comprehensive GUI that will accept *.AVI files plain and simple (actual stand-alone or signpost like those DebugMode creates), and feed it to x264, which will create valid blu-ray compliant elementary streams *.264 or *.m4v with them. Is there such? MeGUI and handbrake are geared to creating files for iToys and the like; I'm trying to alter the custom settings in them without success.
    There isn't a x264 GUI dedicated for blu-ray ONLY

Comprehensive would be MeGUI; but many of the presets have values hardcoded in the custom command line box (you have to look on the last tab)

Simple would be Lord Mulders simple x264 Launcher. It has templates, but you can edit custom command line as well
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144140
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    The current versions of TMPGEnc are, mysteriously and gratingly, emphasizing the use of MPEG-2 for blu-ray, and offers its GUI for MPEG-4, again only for iBollocks devices. Why is that?
    Maybe it's been a while since you've checked them out; TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 and TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 now support h.264 Blu-ray encoding using x264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gyoshi View Post
    Maybe it's been a while since you've checked them out; TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 and TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 now support h.264 Blu-ray encoding using x264.
    You're right, v5 now supports h.264 encoding for blu-ray compliant streams where v4 did not. I suppose this now makes TMPGenc the fanciest GUI there is for x264. Not bad.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote