VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. China bans use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on Gov't Computers

Tue May 20, 2014 1:20pm EDT

May 20 (Reuters) - China has banned government use of Windows 8, Microsoft Corp's latest operating system, a blow to a U.S. technology company that has long struggled with sales in the country.

The Central Government Procurement Center issued the ban on installing Windows 8 on Chinese government computers as part of a notice on the use of energy-saving products, posted on its website last week.

The official Xinhua news agency said the ban was to ensure computer security after Microsoft ended support for its Windows XP operating system, which was widely used in China.

"We were surprised to learn about the reference to Windows 8 in this notice," the company said in a statement. "Microsoft has been working proactively with the Central Government Procurement Center and other government agencies through the evaluation process to ensure that our products and services meet all government procurement requirements."

"We have been and will continue to provide Windows 7 to government customers. At the same time we are working on the Window 8 evaluation with relevant government agencies," Microsoft said.

Neither the government nor Xinhua elaborated on how the ban supported the use of energy-saving products or how it ensured security.
    It is quite surprising, It is hard to say if it is good or bad for China, but. definitely good for ChinaOS (TuX) manufacturers or Ubuntu.
    China can do anything to bend the rest of the world.
    Last edited by enim; 20th May 2014 at 23:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    >> China bans use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on Gov't Computers

Well-done
    Quote Quote  
  3. In many countries, Government Agencies Moving AWAY from Windows as Microsoft buried Windows XP. Mostly they moved on to linux by saving millions towards licensing.

But, in case of China, it seems like local technical firms providing and extending support for Windows XP, already took over or Microsoft nearest competitor played a winning dice to future launch of Nokia Lumina 630 with Windows 8.1 to close the door to the potential market.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    In many countries, Government Agencies Moving AWAY from Windows as Microsoft buried Windows XP. Mostly they moved on to linux by saving millions towards licensing.
    There is some of that, but in this particular case of China it's more likely security concerns. Edward Snowden is the gift that never stops giving and his revelations continue to remain hugely damaging to various US companies. Cisco is watching sales plummet in some of the more paranoid and pissed off (at the Snowden revelations) countries such as Brazil and Germany since it was revealed that the NSA has been intercepting Cisco shipments and placing their own custom hardware inside to spy on other countries. Microsoft is reported on various sites to have been reluctantly forced into cooperating with the NSA and frankly China just finds it easier to deal with Linux for security reasons. Saving money is a nice benefit, but it's not the real reason in their case. In places like Europe it mostly is a cost savings measure to abandon Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not to speak of the fiasco M/Soft caused by the illogical, disjointed GUI they released in W8. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if China came out with its own native OS for the government. After all, they have pretty much stolen all the information they need from US Companies as well as the Federal Government.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Indians follows the Chinese lead by Bharat OS.

================================================== ==================
    It is always better to start building the empire from ground level, same holds good for Tux to the root kernel level.
    Last edited by enim; 21st May 2014 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some stories report that banning Windows 8 was partly in retaliation for Microsoft not continuing free XP support.

China has tried moving people off Windows in the past and onto a Linux-based OS (Red Flag Linux), but the public wasn't interested in using it, and preferred using pirated versions of Windows XP instead.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Not to mention that the hacktivation of Se7en/Vista/XP is less difficult than the hacktivation of H8
    Quote Quote  
  9. China has tried moving people off Windows in the past and onto a Linux-based OS (Red Flag Linux), but the public wasn't interested in using it, and preferred using pirated versions of Windows XP instead.
    Some Chinese IT firms still offers hack-support for XP users.

^ Not to mention that the hacktivation of Se7en/Vista/XP is less difficult than the hacktivation of H8
    I would rather agree, The difficulties in hactivation of W8 might be the biggest chinese issue. I know MS fought a battle on piracy with china - a decade long for XP and Vista.

But, for those who luv MS, OEM licensing is not really too expensive plus you own installation CD media, which normally, they suppose to provide. I would rather like to mention here that support from MS was quick enough for one of my buddy using IE8, which started freezing while playing videos even after security updates, even tech-dumb followed simple instructed steps and solve the issue.

As I do not do any editing or encoding now a days, I am pretty much outdated by now. So, I refrain my self replying other members post related to videos - editing & encoding with a wish at least they get support from someone who uses same tools and knows better.

I like to post tech news (OS & techies) here on VH for just to get views from different angles like this one.
    Last edited by enim; 21st May 2014 at 13:03.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right! Wasteful to spend billions of budget / taxpayers to enrich the external producer; the money saved can build : hospitals, schools, give jobs / to its programmers, increase social allowance, etc. Private firms are not affected.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally posted by Gravitator

Right! Wasteful to spend billions of budget / taxpayers to enrich the external producer; the money saved can build : hospitals, schools, give jobs / to its programmers, increase social allowance, etc. Private firms are not affected.
    An excellent thought of the day!
    Many countries including China, India, South Africa and others -where poverty level is sky rocketing, humans (people) need more hospitals, schools and employment opportunities to support their families and meet their daily bread-n-butter.

I still remember an incident where First Lady Michelle Obama was handed over a resume of an un-employed dad of a young girl.

Private firms are not affected.
    The private firms are not affected at all. In case of an employee, if one is going-out or fired, more than ten will step in.
    I knew of a cartoon illustrating a true businessman selling-out a wife on the beach. He can sell out anything.
    It is only the Profit, profit and profit that affects the private firms.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Were they even using legitimate copies anyway? And as with all other Windows releases, pretty much every other version is shunned by the public as it is "changed" too much from what everyone is familiar using.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!