VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Suppose we have same video wich one has the best quality for resulting the same file size? .mpg is mpeg1 format is that right? So it should be inferior to avi and wmv. I haven't come accross .mpg before so I ask. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mpg is just a container. You could have avc in the mpg, then it could be better quality per MB than the avi. Then again the avi could have avc in it to.

Typically an mpg will contain MPEG-1/2 though which is less efficient than MPEG-4 and WMV9/VC-1.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am under impression that .mpg is the same as those used on vcd. I search all forums and some said you can convert .DAT to .mpg to edit. Some also said you can rename .vob to .mpg which in that case a long movie with small .mpg size would be no good.
    Basically I saw a 1GB .mpg file with about 100min content that I want to download. Would it be as good as a 1GB .wmv or .avi? I am on slower and expensive connection so I need to be sure. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPEG 1 is used on VCD (352x240 NTSC, 352x288 PAL)
    MPEG 2 is used on SVCD (480x480 NTSC, 480x576 PAL)
    MPEG 2 is used on DVD (720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL)

A 1GB MPEG 4 AVI file is likely to be better quality than an 1 GB MPEG 1 or MPEG 2 of the same video. But it also depends on the source (DVD, broadcast, VHS, etc), the resolution, the software used, and the skill of the people who did the encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A VOB has much more in it than just MPEG-2 video and audio. It can also contain multiple audio channels, subtitles and menus. Not a good idea just rename it to a MPEG. But there are plenty of programs to properly convert them to MPEG, such as VOB2MPG or you can use an encoder like TMPGEnc that can extract MPEGs from VOBS.

If you want to learn more about MPEG formats, look the the upper left for 'WHAT IS', DVD, SVCD, VCD and look through the 'GLOSSARY' right below that for info on the AVI formats. Also look to our FAQs: https://www.videohelp.com/faq which answers a lot of basic questions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if mpg is just a container like avi then we will never know whether it is plain MPEG1/2 or MPEG4 based? The ,mpg MAY be as good as .avi in the same file size if it is MPEG4 base and not if it is MPEG1/2 based for 100min 1GB file size? Maybe I just pass this on. I like to convert all my download to DVD and I can't stand watching a vcd quality DVD on a big screen. Thanks alot guy!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hanugro
    So if mpg is just a container like avi then we will never know whether it is plain MPEG1/2 or MPEG4 based?
    Not until you download enough of it to analyse. The likelihood of finding MPEG4 video a downloaded MPG file is extremely small.
    Quote Quote