VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I made a couple of movies in Premiere 6.5 and one in Movie Maker and burned them to DVD using DVD Workshop 2. The Premiere movies were from a Sony TRV-18 DV cam and the Movie Maker came from a Canon S70 in movie mode (320x240).

My problem is that the movies made in Premiere look very shaky when there is any motion in the frame. During some clips, someone is standing still talking and it looks fine but as soon as they move (waving a hand) or running then the motion looks like the camera is vibrating and it's very annoying to watch and quickly gives you a headache. This only happens when playing on a home DVD player (Philips DVP642 and a Zenith DVB216). If I play the movie on my computer using PowerDVD then it looks ok.

The movie from Movie Maker looks fine (even though it is from a lesser quality original). So this makes me think it's got to be a Premiere exporting issue. I posted a questions earlier about Premiere export: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266931 But this issue seems to be different.

When I export from Premiere I choose: Microsoft AVI, no compression, Depth Millions+ colors, 720x480, 29.97 frame rate, Pixel A/R: D1/DV NTSC (.9). Are these the right settings? How can I make my DV movies from my more expensive camcorder which are edited in the more expensive Premiere look like what's coming out of Windows Movie Maker?
    -Shimon
    Quote Quote  
  2. Oh...one more thing on the Export Movie Settings. Under the Keyframe and Rendering Tab, for Fields I have "Lower Field First" selected. I almost think the problem lies with this setting but I', not too sure. Thanks!
    -Shimon
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok...I tried "no fields" for fields selection and it looks the same as before. Ok on the computer but choppy/shaky on the home DVD players.

Any ideas?
    -Shimon
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think I solved my problem.

At first I was making AVI files from Premiere and then DVD Workshop was encoding to MPEG2 for the DVD. I switched to using the Main Concept MPEG2 Encoder in Premiere and bypassed any encoding in Workshop and also set the field to none and now things are working well.

I guess this whole field issue is kind of strange because I'm seeing some people recommend "lower" field for DV and others recommend "none" to keep it progressive scan. I did some reading in the encoding forum and that just confused me more. I understand interlacing vs progressive but I would assume if you are playing a DVD on a DVD player or computer that you would want progressive assuming the DVD player is progressive scan...is my reasoning sound?

Anyway, I feel like I'm talking to myself. But that's the beauty of these forums...even if nobody answers your quesions, sometimes just typing them out and posting them gets those brain juices flowing and then you figure things out for yourself.
    -Shimon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK something is wrong lets try to go in steps. Tell me if this is how you did it.

Canon S70 is a Canon still cam with movie mode right? It works with MJPEG motion files. You have edited in WMM2 and exported and authored to a DVD with what format to DVD Workshop 2?

Now Premiere 6.5 was in DV-NTSC project mode. TRV material was transferred to Premiere over IEEE-1394 with Premiere's movie capture app. You edited in DV format and exported timeline to Movie (Microsoft DV-AVI)? File played OK on the computer with PowerDVD.

You then imported that DV-AVI file into DVD Workshop 2 and encoded to MPeg2 there? Then authored a DVD Menu etc.

Did I get that right?
    If so the problem happened in DVD Workshop.What were your settings?

I would have exported from Premiere this way.

Export Timeline - Adobe MPeg Encoder*
    Use DVD defaults first to get it working.
    Export

Import the resulting m2v and wav files into DVD Workshop and author again.

* you should also later upgrade your MPeg2 encoder here
    http://www.mainconcept.com/adobempeg.html
    The "Public Beta" v1.3 works OK. Use that
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by edDV
    Canon S70 is a Canon still cam with movie mode right? It works with MJPEG motion files. You have edited in WMM2 and exported and authored to a DVD with what format to DVD Workshop 2?
    The Canon outputs AVIs which I pieced together in WMM2, added titles and then exported as a WMV file.

Originally Posted by edDV
    Now Premiere 6.5 was in DV-NTSC project mode. TRV material was transferred to Premiere over IEEE-1394 with Premiere's movie capture app. You edited in DV format and exported timeline to Movie (Microsoft DV-AVI) ? File played OK on the computer.
    Yes, the AVI which came out of Premiere had those interlace lines when I played it but someone said that's normal and it will look ok on a TV. The final DVD I made from DVD Workshop played ok on the computer but was jerky on the home DVD / TV player.

You then improted that into DVD Workshop 2 and encoded to MPeg2 there? Then authored a DVD Menu etc.
    Yes.

Did I get that right?
    If so the problem happened in DVD Workshop.

I would have exported from Premiere this way.

Export Timeline - Adobe MPeg Encoder
    Use DVD defaults first to get it working.
    Export

Import the resulting m2v and wav files into DVD Workshop and author again.
    I pretty much came to the same conclusion: use the Adobe MPEG encoder instead of the Ulead DVD Workshop encoder.

I guess now I have a bunch of questions on the Adobe Main Concept MPEG encoder. I've been reading up on the Main Concept encoder but a lot of the stuff I don't understand. I think I've got the basics down but things like setting the field and do you need to do multiplexing, etc... are still a little confusing.

Thanks for your reply.
    -Shimon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try the Adobe DVD preset first (ave 4.2-6.0Mbps max VBR) then experiment if you want. For higher quality try ave 6ave-8max Mbps VBR (~90min) or 8.5Mbps CBR (~1Hr.)

Or just use the DVD Low, Medium, High presets under Basic Settings, thenCustome Settings.

If you want a MPG instead of separate video-audio files, set Multiplexer to DVD default.

ULead DVD Workshop also uses a version of the Mainconcept MPeg 2 encoder. It should also work if you use the default settings.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks edDV. I actually started a new thread in the conversion asking some encoding questions.

I was reading in another post that Adobe and Ulead both use the MainConcept encoder so I wonder what was causing my problem. I tried initially switching from lower to none on the field in Ulead and that didn't help, but when I switched to Adobe (still using none for field) it worked fine. I was using the highest quality DVD setting in Ulead. So something was screwy in the encoding with the Ulead program. I don't know what though since it was all default.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take a clip with lots of motion and encode it many times with different settings and burn it to a DVD so I can compare the results side by side.

Thanks.
    -Shimon
    Quote Quote