VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have been selling an instructional DVD that I would now like to offer as a digital download. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to do this. I'm strictly talking about the file itself--I already have a delivery system in place.

Here are some details: The DVD has a simple menu. There are 4 sections on the DVD, all of which total approx. 80 minutes. The menu just points to the sections.

I would like to retain this, if possible, but if it's not possible, I would like your input as to which would be the best way to rip the DVD. I have the vob files and everything, as well.

As you can tell, this is something completely new to me, but so was the process of making the video, editing, authoring, etc., and I was able to do it thanks to much of the help I found on this forum.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is because given the limited number of units I will likely sell, I chose DVD-R. As you know, there are compatibility issues for some. Of the 50 units I've sold thus far, 3 purchasers have had these issues, and it's a pain in the you know what. I want to offer a downloadable file. It doesn't even have to be super-compressed--in fact, I would prefer a high quality file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can make an iso from the dvd(with imgburn) and then tell the users to use VLC Media Player to open the iso and it will work exactly like the dvd.

If you want a standard video file(WMV, MPG, AVI) that works in wmp it will be hard to include a menu. But you can use vob2mpg to create a single MPG from the DVD. Or convert the mpg to WMV with windows media encoder. Or maybe upload the video to video sharing site(with login/password access).
    Quote Quote