VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All! I am new to this forum. I have an video file in the .avi format. The problem is that the audio is not evenly distributed on both the speakers when I hear in the headphones. Its low on the right side. Is it possible to balance the audio such that it is balanced on the both the sides and also improve the audio quality. I am afraid the audio in the original file it that way too. Are there any programs/free softwares that I can use to fix this.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity is one of the better free audio editors. It has lots of filters, and should be able to help you out. Try the Beta version, which is much improved over the release version
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use a program like xmedia recode or super to rip the audio out of the video file, put the audio file in to audacity and correct the balance then use something like virtualdub (or video editor of your choice for avi files) to put the audio back to the video.

you will have to lose the original audio when you put the video in to an editor to use the new audio track.

sounds a bit long winded, someone else may contribute a quicker way to do this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by surfmonkee View Post
    use a program like xmedia recode or super to rip the audio out of the video file,
    Don't need to do that. Audacity, latest version with ffmpeg plugin, can read the audio directly from an AVI.

Have a look (and listen) at the audio in Audacity. If one of the left/right tracks is crappy, split the stereo to two tracks and delete the bad one, then save to MP3 mono CBR at a good bitrate (at least 128kb). Then use VDub as mentioned above to substitute this for the original sound track in the AVI.

Many other things you can do in Audacity; just take care not to cut or stretch the audio as that will put it out of sync with the video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your advice. I have windows 7 and I couldn't dowload audacity beta. Will try again. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's an AVI file you can use VirtualDub's built in audio filtering:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.png
Views:	169
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	4067
    That filter chain takes the audio from the source file, splits the stereo channels, amplifies the right channel, merges the two channels back into a stereo stream, then sends the merged channels to the output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tintin11 View Post
    Thank you all for your advice. I have windows 7 and I couldn't dowload audacity beta. Will try again. Thanks.
    Downloaded and installed on a Windows 7 machine earlier today. Not sure what your problem is.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo's advice is spot on!

I would say, use the original source and adjust the streams PRIOR compressing (avi).
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm still rolling with Goldwave for such a task. Audacity ain't bad in my own experience
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote