VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and Happy New Year to all.
    This is my problem. I have a Samsung set-top DVD player/VCR, one of those side-by-side jobs. In the last week and a half, it has started skipping and pixellating on brand new DVDs. NOT DVDs that I have burned, but brand-new, fresh out of the box, commercially-pressed DVDs. I've run a cleaner through it a couple of time, thnking that might be the problem, as this player gets a lot of use. No luck.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ctjayhawker
    ..as this player gets a lot of use. Any ideas?
    If it gets a lot of use, it may be time for replacement.

You can try a more intense cleaning with some damp Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol (90%) and see if there is any gunk on the laser lens. If that doesn't do it, I would consider shopping for a new unit.

That's from a CD player, but a DVD player/burner is very similar.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Red. I hate to crack it open, but I suppose I (theoretically) can't make it any worse.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You 'may' be able to see the lens if the tray is open. (Assuming it's a tray loader) Worth a try. It would be nice to spot something on it, then there may be a better hope of a simple cleaning fix. But you're right, at some point, you have little to lose.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you manage to open it up to see the laser, try a little dab (just enough to moisten) (on a Q tip) of ammonia..I think that's how it's spelled???
    It works well with gold contacts and such...better than alcohol...which is better in a glass with ice!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote