VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to everyone!
    Last day I compared two dvds contained in two different discs
    I got the first one from a friend, while the second one from another friend but out of my country (Italy)
    The footage is the same but the bitrate of the second one is less than 100 kbs
    I just was wondering if burn DVDs at 32x speed or 16x speed may can lose quality to the DVD
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Burning speed is not related to bitrate. And no dvd burner in the world will burn a blank dvd at 32x. Top speed is 24x, and I would advise to never burn anything you want to keep at that speed.

If your blank dvd media is rated at 16x, you should burn at 8x or possibly 12x at most, depending on the quality of the discs. CD's are different. They are rated at much higher speeds, but I still only burn them at 16x or 24x if possible.

Burning at high speed with dvds does sometimes cause problems in playback and longevity. It really depends on the quality of the blank discs to begin with, and how well they match up in the firmware of the burner.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean with ''playback''?
    It's something releated to the glitch during the playing? (Video that skips parts, fast forward not precise, ecc.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Creed92 View Post
    It's something releated to the glitch during the playing? (Video that skips parts, fast forward not precise, ecc.)
    Burn speed does not change video quality.....period.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Burning discs is not a reliable process. Nothing like copying data to a hard drive. DVDs use error correction but the quality of the burn can still determine how easily a disc can be read, or whether parts of it can be read at all. If you burn a DVD video disc, a low quality burn can cause playback glitches if the player has trouble reading the data on the disc, and some players/drives seem to be better at reading certain blank media than others.

There's software which can be used to run burn quality tests on discs, but you also need a DVD drive which supports doing so, and I'm not sure there's too many of them these days. One method of performing a rough test might be to copy the contents of a disc to your hard drive. Ideally the process will be nice and smooth and you'll probably hear the drive speed up as it progresses. If on the other hand you can hear the drive speeding up and slowing down a lot, it's a fair bet it's having trouble reading the disc.

Most blank DVD media is fairly crappy. Verbatim probably make the best, so if you're burning data which is important, use those if you can. Even then you need to buy the good ones if you can find them. The discs which use the Azo dye (it's written on the box/spindle label) and not the Life Series of Value Series discs.

There's some info on burning speeds here. It's probably a bit old, but the info is still relevant.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-media-concepts.htm
    And you can discover more about the quality of various blank media here.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Creed92 View Post
    A poorly burned disc can certainly display glitches in playing video. This can be especially bad near the edge of the disc. Poor quality discs often times have bad dye dispersion near the edge of the disc, and this can lead to less than optimal burns.

Safest bet is to use known good discs, like the AZO Verbatims already mentioned and dvds made by Taiyo Yuden or FTI Falcon. Burn them at a moderate speed.

And if you are interested in learning more about optical media, I'd suggest doing some reading in the Blank Media forum of Myce.com.
    Quote Quote