VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to grab high quality still frames from an analog source (game console), and am looking for advice on the best software / methods for doing so. I have a VIVO card and have no trouble hooking an Xbox into it and capturing an avi file of gameplay with virtualdub. I can then grab frames from the avi; however, the avi is huge. I instead want to learn how to grab frames using these three methods:

Method 1: As I play the game, I'd like a software app that allows me to simply hit a key on the keyboard at any time, and grab a picture. I often need to take several pictures in sequence, so the app needs to save the pictures automatically, *without* asking for a filename.

Method 2: I'd like an app that grabs a frame every X seconds, saving the frames to hard drive. The result would essentially be a slideshow, and I could pick out the slides I wanted.

Method 3: In some cases I *would* like to capture a movie, so I can play it back later and capture the precise frame I want from it. But I don't know what the best software / settings are, to maximize frame quality and keep file size sem-manageable. (Quality is more important than file size, though). As I mentioned, I have tried this method with virtualdub, using the default capture settings, and then previewing with a de-interlace filter and using "Send output frame to clipboard" and pasting the clipboard into an image editor. The results were OK, though some of the frames with fast action looked blurred. And pasting every frame into the editor (and naming it) took time.

Can someone point me toward the proper software apps and techniques to accomplish these methods? Free software is best, but anything will do. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Quote Quote  
  2. I've used Screen Hunter Free & Pro. Pro has more features.. You would have to try the free version to see if it suits. I sprung for the Pro version after testing the free version.
    http://www.wisdom-soft.com/
    The Pro version sounds more like what you want. Free version one key hot key to capture, Pro version can use Ctrl / Alt / Shift + Function Key or Prt Screen Key.

Hope This helps, Please let us know so others can get help on this subject.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    edit
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the tip... I'll try Screen Hunter soon; I had to return my video card because of faulty dvi output, so I can't try it now.

One question: When you use Screen Hunter, what app do you actually view the video in, since Screen Hunter is just a screen cap program that presumably doesn't display the video?
    Quote Quote