VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am trying to lossless edit my M4V files in OS X 10.9 Mavericks , that contain two audio tracks (AAC + AC3).
    The files are created by Handbrake from an Transport Stream that my SAT receiver provided. The AC3 audio stream is just a pass through of the existing audio track. AppleTV will use the AC3 stream if available, so the 5.1 will survive.

Until today I am using QuicktTime 7 Pro using OS X 10.8 Moutain Lion, and I am able to edit the file frame-accurate, even if the frame is not a key-frame. In that case, quicktime keeps all frames starting form the keyframe to the actual frame, but marks them to be skipped. This is quite cool.

Unfortunately, QuickTime 7 Pro is not able to edit M4V files in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, simply because the OS does not support AC3.
    Installing Perian and latest A52Codec.component does not have a positive result.

Editing with MPEGStreamClip also does not work with such files in Mavericks. I assume for the same reasons.
    I tried SimpleMovieX, but this software remove the AC3 audio stream out of the edited file.
    Avidemux is also no alternative, because editing only at the keyframes is no option.

I went through the Internet and your software archive but I did not find anything useful.
    Most of the editing software for MAC will have an export feature at the end that 1. Re-encodes the movie and 2. will only keep one audio track.
    I need a software that 1. does not re-encode, 2. keep all audio tracks, 3. is frame accurate.

I would pay money for software if available. So can anyone help me and suggest me software that runs in OS X Mavericks.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Vietwoojagig; 10th Jun 2014 at 04:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our mac section.

Nope, I have not seen any editor with those features for mac. I didn't know quicktime pro had that "skipped frame" feature....too bad it wont work in 10.9.
    Quote Quote  
  3. an info:
    Originally Posted by Vietwoojagig View Post
    Unfortunately, QuickTime 7 Pro is not able to edit M4V files in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, simply because the OS does not support AC3.
    apple supports ac3 (in good wrappers, eg: mpegps)
    AC3 is forbidden (by the mp4 norm) in mp4/m4v/mov.
    So, VLC can play them, but there are "not compliant" so not handled by regular softwares.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Herve View Post
    AC3 is forbidden (by the mp4 norm) in mp4/m4v/mov.
    Not correct for MP4 and M4V. AC3 has been allowed for some years now. Originally AC3 was not allowed, but apparently this idiotic decision by Apple caused many problems, so the spec got changed. I can't say what is or is not allowed in MOV though as I don't know and I don't care.

Mavericks decided not to support AC3 as a native codec, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make it work. This website claims that doing what the original poster claims to have done will make it work. Maybe it won't help but I'll provide a link in case it does. Maybe the OP left out a step or two.
    http://blog.amvsoft.com/tips/ac3-codec-for-os-x-mavericks.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This website claims that doing what the original poster claims to have done will make it work. Maybe it won't help but I'll provide a link in case it does.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did not upgrade my Mac box to Mavericks. But custom compiled liba52.a on Mavericks itself (with cocoa + llvm-clang) should work fine with ac3.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It seems that I have a solution for my problem:

Instead of editing an M4V-File with an AC3 track I now edit a MKV-File with an AC3 track.
    This works, and Quicktime 7 Pro is able to save such an edited File in Mavericks.

Handbrake is able to provide the option to create MKV-Files instead of M4V-files or I use Avidemux to create such a version.
    QuickTime 7 Pro is only able to save the edited file as MOV, but with Subler I am able to create a M4V version of it.

So my workflow mainly stays the same, except the file formate created by Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!