VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there,

First of all I apologise for everything, I am totally new to DVD editing and again I apologise if this thread has already been posted.

I have 2 full DVDs of the same film "The Myth" however 1 is in English and Chinese (both audio and subtitle) and the other is in Spanish and Chinese (both audio and subtitle)

What I would like to do is somehow to extract the audio and subtitles from both (obviously with the image) and compile the lot into 1 so in effect I would have the film with English, Spanish and Chinese (Chinese not all that important, just the English and Spanish)

If possible can the menu also be extracted and edited to add the extra language (I know what I am asking is a lot for a noob, but any help or step by step guides would be very much appreciated)

I wrote to Mediachance asking about this and they said everything I am asking is possible with DVDLab Pro 2, I got the program but couldn't make head or tail of it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If both DVDs were created from the exact same film print, frame for frame, there should not be too much trouble in synchronizing the audio track of one to the video track of another. However, if they are authored differently, the movie start times may differ, and you would have to shift the audio of one to start in sync with picture of the other.

This is a very tricky undertaking, possibly demanding a lot of tweaking. If you're having a lot of trouble understanding DVDLab Pro, chances are the task at hand may be too much for you. Essentially, here is what you have to do:

1. Rip both movies to hard drive. This task is not difficult. A good free tool for that is DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    2. Demux both movies to separate video, audio, and subtitle tracks. PGC Demux will do that for you.
    3. Synchronize Movie 1's video (an .m2v file) with Movie 2's audio (probably an .ac3 file). If both movies run the same, frame-for-frame, you might get away with skipping this step. However, it is very likely that you will need a timeline video editor. (This will move you out of freeware territory. I won't make recommendations on possible tools just yet.)
    4. Remux the new video and audio into a single MPEG-2 file (.mpg). Imago MPEG Muxer can do that.
    5. Synchronize the desired subtitles to the new .mpg file using Subtitle Workshop. (EDIT: Nix that software. Subtitle Creator will handle the .sup file demuxed from the movie.)
    6. Reauthor the movie, subs, and menus to a DVD structure. You have DVDLab Pro. That should work.
    7. Burn to disc. Imgburn is the most reliable tool for that.

If you are not willing to jump through all these hoops, then you will just have to settle for whatever existing version of the DVD you already have.
    Last edited by filmboss80; 4th Aug 2010 at 11:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Follow Baldrick's guide and his Method 2 to, first, take apart the DVD and, second, put it back together again with the 3 audios and the 3 subtitle tracks. As for editing the menus to add the extra languages, I'd say forget about that and just use the remote control to switch to them. The guide is for adding in an additional subtitle track but it'll work just as well for audio:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent, thanks guys, I will try this over the next few days and let you know how it goes.

You are top people

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi filmboss80,

Ok, I managed to do what you said upto point 4, then I thought I better ask you for more details before I go any further.

I ripped both films to the hard drive, then using PgcDemux and using the "by PGC" option I demuxed the Video, Audio and Sub streams from both films.
    (I couldn't use the "by VOB id" for some reason it couldn't see the files, it said IFO files when they are only VOB files)

I then tried the remuxing, however on using the English Video stream (which is better quality) I got an error message saying "VideoFile.m2v is not a valid video file" Click image for larger version

Name:	error message 1.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2997 so, I had to use the Spanish video stream (which is lower quality, it had leaked a bit) this was a bit better but I still got an error message at 6% into the remuxing which said "INTERNAL ERROR: additional data required but no free space in input buffer" Click image for larger version

Name:	Error message 2.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	2998
    but if I said "ok" to the error message it still let me go on and at the end I got a message saying "No Errors while multiplexing"

Click image for larger version

Name:	No error message.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2999

Now, exactly like you said, the films are authored differently, so when I remuxed the video stream with all 3 audio streams, one of the Audio streams was completly out of synch.

At this point I stopped and thought I should ask you on how to go further and for the name of the tools which you mentioned

"3. Synchronize Movie 1's video (an .m2v file) with Movie 2's audio (probably an .ac3 file).
    If both movies run the same, frame-for-frame, you might get away with skipping this step.
    However, it is very likely that you will need a timeline video editor. (This will move you
    out of freeware territory. I won't make recommendations on possible tools just yet.)"

I hope to hear from you soon, your guide is pretty straight forward and easy to follow

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't believe that the guide mentions anything about using Imago to mux. You use Muxman. If it rejects anything, check the Muxman log in the root of the C drive to see why.

it said IFO files when they are only VOB files)
    I'm not sure what you mean. PGCDemux only opens IFOs.

Now I see. You're asking filmboss80. He does things differently. I'll bow out for now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks anyway manono, seriously, much appreciated.... I did try your way as well but I could only see how to add subs to a DVD, not audio.... let me Try filmboss80's way first, if it gets too difficult then I'll come back to you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually manono, I gave your program muxman a go, I was able to add the video with the 3 audio streams and the subtitles but when I tried to synch the 1 audio that was out it wouldn't have it, I tried putting the delay up and down to see if it would make a difference but nothing worked.... what am I doing wrong?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, Muxman allows a delay of only +/- 300ms, which isn't much. Better would be to get rid of the delay entirely using DelayCut. Find out the amount of delay, remove it, and then use the fixed audio track. This only works if it's a constant delay (off by the same amount all the way through).
    Quote Quote