VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Ive capped a homevideo from vhs to lagarith avi using Virtualvcr, then im going to clean it up in virtual, i add filters, and says save as avi with lagarith compression... But the result file has audio out of sync???

Thats what it says when i open my file in virtualdub...

Whats wrong here?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	w.png
Views:	402
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	11892  

Quote Quote  
  2. Can you use Audio -> Interleaving -> Delay Audio Track By...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah but how go you know what to delay it with?
    Quote Quote  
  4. How about 291 ms? If that's not right you'll have to eyeyball it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What format is the captured audio? It should be PCM (uncompressed).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    How can i see that ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    Ive capped a homevideo from vhs to lagarith avi using Virtualvcr, then im going to clean it up in virtual, i add filters, and says save as avi with lagarith compression... But the result file has audio out of sync???
    That rings a bell. From vague memory you should run the file through "AVI Offset Calculator". It will tweak the file and allow virtualdub to open it without complaint and maintain the same standard of audio sync as was in the file intially.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I cant seam to find a download link for that program that works?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I tried using the 291 but that didnt help at all on the capture... Is there anyway to make virtualdub accept the file with the changes that virtualvcr made???
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    How can i see that ?
    Allow the file to open in VirtualDub, even if errors. In the top menu bar, click "File..." then "File information..."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    It is PCM (uncompressed)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    I cant seam to find a download link for that program that works?
    http://www.users.on.net/~alfalfa/files/AVI%20Offset%20Calculator.exe

I recommend making a copy of your source file first. The open the copy with avi offset calc, tick the kill offsets box, click calculate. It should allow virtualdub to open the file without complaining. You will need to apply the offset in virtualdub to put the audio at the same sync it had before the avi file was tweaked.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I used that program and added the corrected screw in the audio delay in virtualdub but it didnt help at all...

The capture file runs without problems but when i open it in virtualdub and adds filters the new file is out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm tjek that... The capture file also have out of sync out... what the devil has happen
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying the audio seems out of sync during playback in VirtualDub while you are running your filters? Or is audio out of sync after the filters have been applied? During the time you actually apply filters in VirtualDub, the filtering action takes up time and the audio can seem out of sync (VirtualDub is busy using most of its CPU time trying to apply filters, not acting like a movie player).

Something else to do with this problem is the way you open the orginal captured AVI in VirtualDub. I almost always open an AVI file with a script in Avisynth. Example:

AviSource("C:\Videos\NewCap.avi")
    AssumeTFF()
    ConvertToRGB24(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true)

Such scripts are designed to override some of the assumptious that are made by VirtualDub when you open an AVI directly, witjhout a script. There are many open statements similar to "AviSource", but these depend on the specific type of captured video. There are also audio control commands. But without a sample of your original unprocessed capture, we can't be more specific.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    I used that program and added the corrected screw in the audio delay in virtualdub but it didnt help at all...
    Then just eyeball the difference between the audio and video and enter whatever value you come up with.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    The capped avi file also had sync problems, so i tried to start over and capture again, and i capture 2 hours in a row, then i cancel and open the file, already 2 min in the min the sync was horrifick... what going wrong?

I cap with PVR-500 Wintv, and i use VirtualVCR that gets the video from the tvcard and audio from linie in at the sound card
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For starters, capture smaller video files. You don't need 2 hours to tell you something's wrong. Get a smaller capture and try submitting some of it so we can have a look. If you need to know how to cut or post, feel free to ask.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are various settings with VirtualVCR that assist with audio sync - check the docs.

I would also ask if you are capturing to your main hard drive - the one with your OS ?

You did say in your other topic that you are working with new hardware yet clearly you are not (unless I am very much mistaken). So, as I already stated, your card is outputing a mpeg2 stream with has to be converted in real time to lagarith. That may be the issue here.

Did you have sync issues with the original Mpeg2 capture ?

A suggestion. Try a different lossless codec like huffyuv.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    There is no sync errors when i cap in Wintv applikation, but people in here said that that is bad to do, because it caps in mpeg2, therefor i tried the virtualvcr
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It won't work with huffyuv either, they are similar compressors. Use them with AVI, not with MPEG. MPEG is already compressed anyway, you gain nothing.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Ehm... Im lost now...

In virtualVCR under devices i choice compression Lagarith...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not recall any comments about hardware Mpeg2 capture being 'not good'. It was your insistance in converting to lagarith to use vdub that took you along this route. The main issue with Mpeg2 editing is the loss of quality. But that may not be too noticable.

My friend above has pointed out that you are not getting a pure lagarith capture anyway. Not really any different to the conversion to lagarith.

If you capture to Mpeg2 then stay in Mpeg2. Use the software which you already stated you have. Or use the tips given in the other topic if you insist in using vdub.

Other than that you will have to change the capture hardware. There are Hauppuage cards that use sofware capture. One I can reccomend is called WinTv Express which uses the BT878 chip. With that card you CAN do lagarith captures which I have done quite successfully.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ehm... Im lost now...

In virtualVCR under devices i choice compression Lagarith...
    But the souce is not uncompressed digital video. It is compressed Mpeg2 video. The sofware converts/compresses what it sees.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Well then ill go back to my capturing in Wintv... I thougt i could get better captures in virtualvcr...

Im not going to buy new card again, i have like 5 vcr tapes to capture and, then i have DV tapes in most better quality for the rest
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well then ill go back to my capturing in Wintv... I thougt i could get better captures in virtualvcr...
    With the right hardware maybe. But did the comments you read actually use the same card as you have or a different Hauppage model ?

You have also failed to answer all the questions raised here which are designed to help you. IIRC the question concerned the audio compression in the capture. Apart from my own question about the HDD you are capturing to......
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post

The capture file runs without problems but when i open it in virtualdub and adds filters the new file is out of sync
    The purpose of the utility is to permit you to open the file in virtualdub without the offset error. It does not correct the actual sync, you need to adjust that yourself. Ensure you adjust the offset in the right direction, ie don't make the problem worse.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do not recall any comments about hardware Mpeg2 capture being 'not good'. It was your insistance in converting to lagarith to use vdub that took you along this route. The main issue with Mpeg2 editing is the loss of quality. But that may not be too noticable.

My friend above has pointed out that you are not getting a pure lagarith capture anyway. Not really any different to the conversion to lagarith.

If you capture to Mpeg2 then stay in Mpeg2. Use the software which you already stated you have. Or use the tips given in the other topic if you insist in using vdub.

Other than that you will have to change the capture hardware. There are Hauppuage cards that use sofware capture. One I can reccomend is called WinTv Express which uses the BT878 chip. With that card you CAN do lagarith captures which I have done quite successfully.
    I can't agree with any of those recommendations. Capture from damaged tape (or any tape) to compressed MPEG does indeed have serious effects on quality, in terms of the original tape problems, compression artifacts, and noise. Capturing bad tape to MPEG is one of the worst steps one can take. I've seen enough of it to know better.

The BT878 chip is a problem to begin with. The O.P. has plenty of problems now.

Would be curious to see how you propose to fix some of this source's problems by staying in MPEG. I tjhought the point of this exercise was to capture to lossless AVI, not to MPEG.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=sanlyn;2154181
    The BT878 chip is a problem to begin with. The O.P. has plenty of problems now.

Would be curious to see how you propose to fix some of this source's problems by staying in MPEG. I thought the point of this exercise was to capture to lossless AVI, not to MPEG.[/QUOTE]

Strange thing is that it is this very chip that the designers of VirtualVCR recommend.

I obtained this card for its ability to do PAL60 work (ok not what the OP wants but I wish to put the record straight on this.)

Sure, the point of the excercise is to capture lossless AVI but surely it is already proven, your own words I believe, that that is not possible with the current hardware setup - or atleast what is pure lossless and not a transcoding which is what we have here - and the Op will not invest in new hardware. So, in that scenario he has no option but to use Mpeg2.

Now, IIRC, the Mpeg2 samples previously posted are quite short. If the OP wishes to make a longer one available, one in need of colour correction and de-shaking, I am quite prepared to kill some time on it in Vegas which the Op has said he posesses. Then you can all have a fit of giggles at my own editing attempts.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I can't agree with any of those recommendations. Capture from damaged tape (or any tape) to compressed MPEG does indeed have serious effects on quality, in terms of the original tape problems, compression artifacts, and noise. Capturing bad tape to MPEG is one of the worst steps one can take. I've seen enough of it to know better.
    One more for that idea.
    I was very frustrated when i tried to record straight to divx ( hype at that time that will dethrone the DVD )on my new ( for that time almost 11 years ago) pc on a average software tv card from vcr (also average but new ) and tape that has be bitten like ufc take down. I was mad at intel at nvidia at as how their fast cpu and gpus couldn't handle it like i wont. Is the processors of that time not fast enough? what im doing wrong? Are the people that are telling me i expect much from an average equipment and with wrong approach ( fast but qualityles ) and that straight to divx is not possible ( at least if i wanted quality even today it is bad idea and the processors are 100 times faster. The resulting video was crap and i give up and 2 years latter i started to transfer my tapes ( properly with lots of suggestion being listened good equipment right software and so on) . Till today I'm still learning from people of this site that are experts and know what are doing on day to day bases, and most of them are doing this for a living ( so they must know what are they doing ).
    I don't want to go sometimes in too much details ( as they are ) but I'm curious to understand what is what and most importantly why.

So my friend Asesinato don't get mad at me for saying this but you remind me of my self 11 years ago.

Why don't you for starters tell as what you have from equipment
    For example

1. I have cpu that and that ram memory ( size speed and so on ), HDD ( size sata pata SSD and so on )
    2. I'm using windows 7 or xp or vista 64 32 or so on
    3. I have sound card integrated or some card like soundblaster or asus or so on
    4. I have motherboard asus gygabite or so on and so on
    5. I have tv card this and that
    6. My vcr is Panasonic JVC or fuego or samsug or what ( model year )?
    7. I have or can boroww this dvd recorder for instance panasonic jvc or mustek or so on
    9. I have friends that have any or some of the components that you guys mentioned that i can use

then tell as your capture software workflow ( learn to post screenshot of the problems, or screen of the setting in your software )

As capturing losless did you try dscaler that i mentioned on other tread and it worked ( it can work with cards that even doesn't recognized )

So I must quote Jerry Maguire " help me to help you "
    Quote Quote